Unraveling the Mystery of Mass and Acceleration

In summary, mass is a measure of how difficult is to accelerate a body, but this doesn't prevent you to accelerate equally two different bodies, only you need to try harder with the massive one. That's exactly what gravity does.
xWaldorf
So, this may be a really stupid question, and I strongly feel as though I'm missing something here.
How can it be that objects of different masses have the exact same acceleration when mass is in fact resistance to acceleration?
And then, if in (a vaccum) I throw upwards M and m ( a bigger and a smaller mass respectively) will m reach the ground first or will they still reach the ground simultaneously?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's true that mass is a measure of how difficult is to accelerate a body, but this doesn't prevent you to accelerate equally two different bodies, only you need to try harder with the massive one. That's exactly what gravity does.

Let me explain, of course with an equal force, the acceleration of a massive body will be higher(edit: lower) than a lighter body, that's what Newton's second law tells us; ##\vec{a}=\frac{\vec{F}}{m}##. But notice that here there are two things that can contribute, one is the force and the other is the mass. That's why I've explicitly said that under an equal force the acceleration is higher in the massive body.

But gravity does not act as an equal force to everybody, Newton's gravitational law tells us that the more massive a body is, the more force will experiment due to gravity. It turns out that the two effects (more mass implies more force, but also less acceleration) cancel out, so the total acceleration due to gravity is exactly the same for all the bodies.
$$\vec{F}_G=m\vec{g}\Longrightarrow \vec{a}=\frac{\vec{F}_G}{m}=\vec{g}$$
where ##\vec{g}## is a constant that doesn't depend on ##m##.

Then the second question is easy, if they have the same acceleration (and you threw them with the exact same velocity), they will arrive at the ground simultaneously.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK, xWaldorf and Bandersnatch
Gaussian97 said:
of course with an equal force, the acceleration of a massive body will be higher than a lighter body, that's what Newton's second law tells us; →a=→Fma→=F→m\vec{a}=\frac{\vec{F}}{m}.
Having an equal F in both cases, wouldn't plugging a greater mass in the equation results in a higher acceleration for the lighter body (because the denominator is greater)?

xWaldorf said:
Summary:: If mass is a measure of a bodys resistance to acceleration, how come objects with different masses accelerate the same due to gravity?

So, this may be a really stupid question, and I strongly feel as though I'm missing something here.
How can it be that objects of different masses have the exact same acceleration when mass is in fact resistance to acceleration?
And then, if in (a vaccum) I throw upwards M and m ( a bigger and a smaller mass respectively) will m reach the ground first or will they still reach the ground simultaneously?

I think there are several parts to your question. (Although I've been beaten to it, I see!)

First, inertial mass is a measure of a body's resistance to acceleration. As in Newton's second law:
$$F = ma$$
This equation relates the force applied to a body to its acceleration.

Second, gravitational mass is a measure of the gravitational attraction of a body. As in Newton's law of gravitation: $$F = \frac{GMm}{r^2}$$
This equation gives the force of attraction between two bodies of masses ##M## and ##m##, separated by a distance ##r##. ##G## is the universal gravitational constant.

It has long been established experimentally that inertial and gravitational mass are the same. For example, if we take ##M## to be the mass of the Earth, then the gravitational acceleration of a mass ##m## (due to the Earth's gravity) is:
$$a = \frac F m = \frac{GM}{r^2}$$
Which is independent of the mass ##m##. This can be tested by dropping two objects of different masses and checking that they fall at the same rate. Note that the masses have to be dense enough so that air resistance isn't an issue. In a vacumm chamber, however, you can see this applies to all objects.

The reason is that if you increase mass ##m##, then both the gravitational force (between it and the Earth) and its resistance to acceleration increase by the same amount and cancel out.

Likes Lnewqban, vanhees71 and xWaldorf
xWaldorf said:
Having an equal F in both cases, wouldn't plugging a greater mass in the equation results in a higher acceleration for the lighter body (because the denominator is greater)?
Yeah, sure, I don't know what I was thinking

Likes xWaldorf
hahahahaha thanks for the lucid answers though!

1. What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) using a balance or scale.

2. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

Mass and gravity are directly proportional to each other. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects.

4. How does mass impact the behavior of objects in motion?

The mass of an object affects its inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. Objects with greater mass have more inertia and therefore require more force to change their motion.

5. Can an object have mass but no acceleration?

Yes, an object can have mass but no acceleration if the net force acting on it is zero. This is known as a state of equilibrium, where the forces on the object are balanced and there is no change in its motion.