Mass & Gravity: Unveiling the Force Behind It

In summary, the properties of mass that cause gravity are part of the "stress-energy tensor," which includes energy density, pressure, linear momentum density, and angular momentum density. Gravity can be visualized as an average change in density of a field or fabric, similar to a dimple or suction. This helps explain how energy can have gravity without having mass, such as with the theoretical formation of geons. The book The Quantum World by Kenneth W. Ford is a helpful introduction to understanding quantum physics.
Trillseeker
What property of mass causes gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Several properties of mass cause gravity. The full set of properties that cause gravity is known as the "stress-energy tensor". One can break this down into the energy density, 3 pressure terms (in most situations all three pressures are equal because the pressure is usually isotropic, but there are exceptions), 3 linear momentum density terms, and 3 angular momentum density terms, for a total of 10 variables at each point in space-time.

I'v always myself had questions about gravity. But when answering questions involving what causes it. I'v always found it useful to visualize gravity as an average change in density of some kind of field or fabric.

Always akin to a rubber sheet, placing a ball or something changes the density of the sheet when viewed at right angles to the sheet. So making that 3 dimensional, gravity is a dimple or suction of the fabric into a more localized area. At least, this is how i visualize it.

I like it cause it helps to show how energy can have gravity without having mass. Like the geon, helps explain how they could theoretically form.

But as of late no one knows exactly what causes something to have mass. But considering that photons can have a force of gravity then i suggest that energy is the dimple in space time.

Dont know if that helps,

But a book The Quantum World by Kenneth W. Ford helps understand much of more simple quantum physics, a good introduction.

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant regardless of location, but weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

2. How is mass and gravity related?

Mass and gravity are directly related. The more mass an object has, the more gravitational force it will exert. This means that objects with greater mass will have a stronger gravitational pull compared to objects with less mass.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. It affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. The acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can gravity be observed or measured?

Yes, gravity can be observed and measured. One way to observe gravity is to see the effect it has on the motion of objects. Gravity can also be measured using instruments such as a spring scale or a balance to measure weight, or a gravimeter to measure the strength of the gravitational field.

5. How does the mass and gravity of Earth compare to other planets?

Earth's mass and gravity are significantly larger compared to other planets in our solar system. Jupiter has the largest mass and gravity, while Mercury has the smallest. This is due to the varying sizes and compositions of each planet.