Mass and Moment of Inertia of a Planet

In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus to find the total mass and moment of inertia of a gaseous spherical planet with a nonconstant density. The total mass is found by integrating thin spherical shells, while the moment of inertia is found by using the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere. The correct answer for the moment of inertia is (4/15)*M*R^2, not (2/5)*M*R^2.
guru_to_be

Homework Statement

There is a gaseous spherical planet with a nonconstant density rho(r) = rho_o (1 - r / R), where rho_0 is the maximum density attained at the planet's core, R is the radius of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet.
Use calculus to find the total mass of the planet in terms of rho_0 and R. Then find the moment of inertia of the planet in terms of its total mass M and R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Mass of the planet as (rho_o * pi *R3)/3

I integrated thin spherical shells to find the total mass using the integral - 4piR2dr*density

Then I found average density as rho_o/4

Now, I am using the integration of thin solid disks to find teh moment of inertia of the sphere...which comes out to be 8/15 * density*pi R5

If we substitute the averahe density in terms of M in the above equation, the answer comes out to be 2/5 * M*R2 but I think the correct answer is 4/15*M*R2

Can anyone tell me if I am correct or am I doing something wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use the average density to find the moment of inertia. rho_0*pi*R^3/3 is the mass all right. To get the moment of inertia, I used that the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is (2/3)*m(r)*r^2. m(r)=rho(r)*4*pi*r^2*dr. Integrating the whole thing does give (4/15)*M*R^2. It would be tough to use disks, since they don't have uniform density.

Thanks

I got it. I guess I was too impatient to think clearly :)

1. What is the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet is the amount of matter it contains, typically measured in kilograms (kg). It is a fundamental property of a planet and is important in determining its gravitational pull and orbital characteristics.

2. How is the mass of a planet determined?

The mass of a planet can be determined by measuring its gravitational pull on nearby objects, such as its moons or satellites. This is known as the gravitational method of determining mass. Alternatively, the mass can also be calculated by measuring the planet's orbital characteristics and using Kepler's laws of planetary motion.

3. What is the moment of inertia of a planet?

The moment of inertia of a planet is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is affected by the distribution of mass within the planet and is important in understanding the planet's rotation and shape.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a planet calculated?

The moment of inertia of a planet can be calculated using its mass, shape, and density. It can also be determined by measuring the planet's rotational period and using the equation I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass, and R is the radius of the planet.

5. Why is the mass and moment of inertia of a planet important?

The mass and moment of inertia of a planet provide crucial information about its physical characteristics and behavior. They are used in various fields of study, such as astronomy and geophysics, to understand the planet's formation, structure, and dynamics. Additionally, they play a key role in predicting and explaining phenomena such as planetary orbits, tides, and earthquakes.