Determining Particle Type from Energy: Relativistic Approach

In summary, the question asks for the necessary level of accuracy when measuring the speed of a particle with energy 2 GeV to determine whether it is a pion or a kaon, using relativistic equations. The solution involves using the equations E^2 = (p^2)(c^2) + (m^2)(c^4) and p = (\gamma)mv, and solving for v in terms of E and m. The final equation is v = \sqrt{\frac{E^2 -m^2c^4}{c^2m^2 + E^2/c^2 - m^2c^2}}, where m is the mass of the particle (0.14 GeV/c
DukeLuke

Homework Statement

Determine how accurately you will need to measure the speed of a particle that has energy 2 GeV to determine whether it is a pion (mass = 0.14 Gev/c^2) or a Kaon (mass = 0.49 Gev/C^2). *This question is in a relativity section, so I'm assuming relativistic equations are neccesary*

Homework Equations

[tex]
E^2 = (p^2)(c^2) + (m^2)(c^4)
[/tex]
[tex]
p = (\gamma)mv
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by substituting [tex] p= (\gamma)mv [/tex] into the other equation so velocity can be related to mass, but I'm lost as to what the basic approach to this problem would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a good start. I'd now try to solve for v in terms of E and m and get the value of v for a kaon and a pion and see what the difference is. It looks to me like it becomes a quadratic equation in v^2.

use gamma r = E/(mc^2) = 1/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
so v/c = sqrt[1 - (mc^2/E)^2]
for pion, mc^2/E = 0.14/2 = 0.07
v/c = 0.9975

Dick said:
That looks like a good start. I'd now try to solve for v in terms of E and m and get the value of v for a kaon and a pion and see what the difference is. It looks to me like it becomes a quadratic equation in v^2.

Thanks, the only thing is when I solved it I didn't end up with a quadratic.

DukeLuke said:
Thanks, the only thing is when I solved it I didn't end up with a quadratic.

What DID you get?

I started by solving for p and substituing [tex] p= (\gamma mv) [/tex] for it.

[tex]
\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{E^2 - m^2c^4}{c^2}}
[/tex]

then I squared both sides and moved gamma and [tex] c^2 [/tex] to opposite sides

[tex]
m^2v^2c^2 = (E^2 - m^2c^4) (1 - v^2/c^2)
[/tex]

multiply out right hand side

[tex]
m^2v^2c^2 = E^2 + m^2c^2v^2 -m^2c^4 - \frac{E^2v^2}{c^2}
[/tex]

group [tex] v^2 [/tex] on same side and factor it out

[tex]
v^2 (c^2m^2 + E^2/c^2 - m^2c^2) = E^2 - m^2c^4
[/tex]

solve for v

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{E^2 -m^2c^4}{c^2m^2 + E^2/c^2 - m^2c^2}}
[/tex]

That looks ok to me. You can cancel the two m^2*c^2 terms. It is even easier than I thought.

1. What is the difference between mass and momentum?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while momentum refers to the amount of motion an object has. Mass is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude, while momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How are mass and momentum related?

Mass and momentum are related through the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum will be if it is moving at a certain velocity.

3. What is the conservation of mass and momentum?

The law of conservation of mass states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction will be the same.

4. How does mass and momentum play a role in collisions?

In collisions, the total momentum of the system remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momenta of the objects involved in the collision will be the same before and after the collision. The mass of the objects also affects the outcome of the collision, as objects with greater mass will have a greater momentum and therefore a greater impact.

5. How is mass and momentum used in practical applications?

Mass and momentum are fundamental concepts in physics and are used in a variety of practical applications. They are used in engineering to design safe and efficient transportation methods, in sports to analyze the motion of athletes, and in the development of new technologies such as rockets and satellites. Understanding these concepts is essential for many fields of science and technology.