Calculating Mass and Weight on the Moon

In summary, the largest piece of equipment that an astronaut can lift on the Moon has a mass of 40 kg and a weight of 65 N. The maximum force that the astronaut can exert is 392 N, which is equivalent to a mass of 241.98 kg under the Moon's acceleration due to gravity of 1.62 m/s^2.
reminiscent

Homework Statement

The largest piece of equipment that an astronaut on Earth can lift has a weight of 392 N. On the Moon, the acceleration due to gravity is only 1.62 m/s^2.
a) What is the mass and weight of the same piece of equipment on the Moon?
b) What is the mass and weight of the largest rock the astronaut can lift on the Moon?

Homework Equations

W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I found that the mass had to be 40kg on the Moon because mass does not change whether you're on Earth or on the Moon. For the weight, I just multiplied 40kg * 1.62 m/s^2 and found that the weight is 65 N.
For b), I am confused about what it is asking because isn't it the same answer as a)? If the largest equipment that the astronaut can handle is 40 kg, then a rock must be a max of 40 kg and wouldn't the weight also be 65 N? Quick help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
reminiscent said:

Homework Statement

The largest piece of equipment that an astronaut on Earth can lift has a weight of 392 N. On the Moon, the acceleration due to gravity is only 1.62 m/s^2.
a) What is the mass and weight of the same piece of equipment on the Moon?
b) What is the mass and weight of the largest rock the astronaut can lift on the Moon?

Homework Equations

W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I found that the mass had to be 40kg on the Moon because mass does not change whether you're on Earth or on the Moon. For the weight, I just multiplied 40kg * 1.62 m/s^2 and found that the weight is 65 N.
For b), I am confused about what it is asking because isn't it the same answer as a)? If the largest equipment that the astronaut can handle is 40 kg, then a rock must be a max of 40 kg and wouldn't the weight also be 65 N? Quick help would be much appreciated.
There's a subtle difference between the answers to a) and b).

On earth, as astronaut's muscles provide the force necessary to lift a piece of machinery with a certain mass against the acceleration due to earth's gravity.

How much mass under the moon's acceleration due to gravity is equivalent to the maximum force which can be exerted by the astronaut?

SteamKing said:

On earth, as astronaut's muscles provide the force necessary to lift a piece of machinery with a certain mass against the acceleration due to earth's gravity.

How much mass under the moon's acceleration due to gravity is equivalent to the maximum force which can be exerted by the astronaut?
I still don't understand... wouldn't that give me the same answer or do I need a different equation for part b) to find the answer?

SteamKing said:

I kept reading your reply and this is my understanding:
So the maximum force which can be exerted by the astronaut is 392 N, correct? So, I just have to plug in 392 N into W=mg in terms of the moon's acceleration to find the mass?

reminiscent said:
I kept reading your reply and this is my understanding:
So the maximum force which can be exerted by the astronaut is 392 N, correct? So, I just have to plug in 392 N into W=mg in terms of the moon's acceleration to find the mass?
Yes.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) while weight is measured in newtons (N).

Can an object have mass but no weight?

Yes, an object can have mass but no weight if it is in a location without gravity, such as in outer space. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and does not change, while weight is dependent on the force of gravity.

How do I calculate mass and weight?

Mass can be calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by its acceleration (m = F/a). Weight can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (W = m * g).

Why is mass measured in kilograms but weight is measured in newtons?

This is because the unit of weight, newtons, is a measure of force, while the unit of mass, kilograms, is a measure of the amount of matter. The relationship between mass and weight is dependent on the force of gravity, which is measured in newtons.

Is mass the same as volume?

No, mass and volume are different physical properties. Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while volume refers to the amount of space an object occupies. Mass can be measured in kilograms, while volume is typically measured in cubic meters (m^3).