Where did I go wrong in my solution?

In summary: You can use the kinematic equation if the initial velocity is known, and the equation of motion is solved for the masses and forces.
kdb94

Homework Statement

I have a physics midterm on Wednesday and I'm doing some practice problems to prepare. On one of them, I'm getting an answer that is extremely close to the answer my TA gave me for the problem and I can't tell if it's rounding or if I'm missing something.

A mass is attached to a spring and allowed to move horizontally along a surface with friction (assume that the equilibrium position is far enough away from the wall that the mass never hits it and the spring can both push and pull). m=10kg and uK=uS=0.1

If the mass is let go, at x=70 cm (where x=0 is equilibrium) where does it come to rest for the first time?

Homework Equations

A) 1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2 -Ff (conservation of energy)
B) Ff=Nuk
C) F=-kx
D) v^2-vi^2=2a(x-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

-I used equation B to find the frictional force: (0.1)*(9.8)*(10) = 9.8 N

-I used equation C to find the force exerted by the spring: F=(-100)(.7)=-70N. I then used F=ma to get the acceleration: (-70)=(10)a, and a=7m/s^2

I solved equation A for v and got squareroot((kx^2+2f)/m) = v
--after plugging and chugging, i got a velocity v=2.62 m/s

I then plugged into equation D

(2.62)^2-0=2(7)(x-0)
x=.49 m = 49 cm

The answer my TA gave me was 50.1 cm. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation A mixes energy and force.
The spring constant is 100N/m, right? I get -8.4cm.

Last edited:
kdb94 said:

Homework Statement

I have a physics midterm on Wednesday and I'm doing some practice problems to prepare. On one of them, I'm getting an answer that is extremely close to the answer my TA gave me for the problem and I can't tell if it's rounding or if I'm missing something.

A mass is attached to a spring and allowed to move horizontally along a surface with friction (assume that the equilibrium position is far enough away from the wall that the mass never hits it and the spring can both push and pull). m=10kg and uK=uS=0.1

If the mass is let go, at x=70 cm (where x=0 is equilibrium) where does it come to rest for the first time?

Homework Equations

B) Ff=Nuk
C) F=-kx
D) v^2-vi^2=2a(x-xi)

-I used equation C to find the force exerted by the spring: F=(-100)(.7)=-70N. I then used F=ma to get the acceleration: (-70)=(10)a, and a=7m/s^2

I solved equation A for v and got squareroot((kx^2+2f)/m) = v
--after plugging and chugging, i got a velocity v=2.62 m/s

I then plugged into equation D

(2.62)^2-0=2(7)(x-0)
x=.49 m = 49 cm

The answer my TA gave me was 50.1 cm. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks so much!
I got the same as the TA. except mine is negative: x = - 0.50m.

rude man said:
I got the same as the TA. except mine is negative: x = - 0.50m.
That made me realize I hadn't read quite to the end of the question. My number was for where it comes to rest finally.

kdb94 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

B) Ff=Nuk
C) F=-kx
D) v^2-vi^2=2a(x-xi)

You got the initial acceleration caused by the spring, and neglected the effect of the friction.
The acceleration is not constant during the motion, you can not use the kinematic equation D, valid for uniform acceleration.

1. What is the relationship between mass and spring constant in a mass-spring system?

In a mass-spring system, the spring constant (k) is directly proportional to the mass (m) attached to the spring. This means that as the mass increases, the spring constant also increases. The relationship can be described by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a mass-spring system?

The amplitude, or maximum displacement, of a mass-spring system affects the motion by determining the maximum displacement and velocity of the mass. A larger amplitude results in a greater displacement and higher velocity, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller displacement and lower velocity. The frequency and period of the motion remain unchanged regardless of the amplitude.

3. What is the equilibrium position in a mass-spring system?

The equilibrium position in a mass-spring system is the point where the spring is at rest and there is no net force acting on the mass. It is the point where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the mass is not moving. Any displacement from this position will result in a force being applied by the spring to return the mass to the equilibrium position.

4. How does changing the mass affect the period of a mass-spring system?

Changing the mass in a mass-spring system does not affect the period of the motion. The period, or time it takes for one complete oscillation, is determined by the spring constant and the mass attached to the spring. As long as the spring constant remains constant, the period will also remain constant regardless of the mass.

5. What factors affect the frequency of a mass-spring system?

The frequency of a mass-spring system is affected by the spring constant and the mass attached to the spring. As the spring constant increases, the frequency increases. As the mass increases, the frequency decreases. The amplitude and initial conditions do not affect the frequency of the motion.