Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mass between 2 Springs k1,k2

1. Jan 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey

The part of the question that i am not all the sure about is Newtons second law.
    and the Omega
    the Situation is as followed

]/\/\/k1\/\/\[m]/\/\/k2/\/\[

There are 2 springs k1,k2 and a mass in between.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma and F=-kx

x=Asin(omega(t)+theta)
    3. The attempt at a solution

Now i find it a little confusing because there are 2 springs with both different constants.

I think the solution is

ma=(-k1+k2)x which turns in to ma=(k2-k1)x so a+((k2-k1)x)/m=0
    now when finding the solution for Omega i get

omega= -sqr(((k2-k1)x)/m) now the (-) sign is annoying me, usually its not there,
    so i think i might made a mistake with the (k2-k1),

thanks for the help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2
    There is a property for the system you are trying to figure out that I cant quite recall, but subtracting the constants is not right. Think about the physics of the situation.

]/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/k1\/\/\[m]/\/\/k2/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/[ this then goes to this
    ]\/\/k1\/\/\[m]\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/k2\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/[
    so you know that this point k1 is compressed to it is pushing m to the right.
    you also know that k2 is stretched, so it will pull m also to the right. So you know that these two forces must add, my guess would be that it is by a factor of 1/root(2). You can find this easily online, let me know what the answer ends up being

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook