1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass between 2 Springs k1,k2

1. Jan 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey

The part of the question that i am not all the sure about is Newtons second law.
    and the Omega
    the Situation is as followed

]/\/\/k1\/\/\[m]/\/\/k2/\/\[

There are 2 springs k1,k2 and a mass in between.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma and F=-kx

x=Asin(omega(t)+theta)
    3. The attempt at a solution

Now i find it a little confusing because there are 2 springs with both different constants.

I think the solution is

ma=(-k1+k2)x which turns in to ma=(k2-k1)x so a+((k2-k1)x)/m=0
    now when finding the solution for Omega i get

omega= -sqr(((k2-k1)x)/m) now the (-) sign is annoying me, usually its not there,
    so i think i might made a mistake with the (k2-k1),

thanks for the help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2
    There is a property for the system you are trying to figure out that I cant quite recall, but subtracting the constants is not right. Think about the physics of the situation.

]/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/k1\/\/\[m]/\/\/k2/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/[ this then goes to this
    ]\/\/k1\/\/\[m]\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/k2\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/[
    so you know that this point k1 is compressed to it is pushing m to the right.
    you also know that k2 is stretched, so it will pull m also to the right. So you know that these two forces must add, my guess would be that it is by a factor of 1/root(2). You can find this easily online, let me know what the answer ends up being

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook