How to Study SHM with a Mass Between Two Springs?

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting an experiment to study simple harmonic motion (SHM) using a mass between two springs. The issue of friction is raised and a suggestion is given to reduce it by mounting the springs and mass vertically. However, the person seeking help mentions that this method does not work for them. An alternative set-up is proposed using a dynamics trolley or roller skate instead of the mass.
Ipos Manger
Hello! My second time here, and this forum has really been helpful.

I got a question:

How could i do an experiment to study the SHM of a mass between two springs? I've tried doing it, but the mass can't complete one cycle, and friction is always a problem. Is there a way to reduce it?

Also, how can i make a trolley/mass be between two springs?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can attach one end of each spring to the mass and fix the other ends on some support. If you want to reduce friction you could mount he spring and mass vertically.
]-/\/\/\/\-[mass]-/\/\/\/\/\-[

Hey, thanks for repplying!

Well I've tried to mount it vertically.. but it doesn't work. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Gravity makes the mass go down, but not up.

Ipos Manger said:
Hey, thanks for repplying!

Well I've tried to mount it vertically.. but it doesn't work. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Gravity makes the mass go down, but not up.

The vertical system could be as follows:

Two springs, relaxed length 30cm.
A mass with hook top and bottom - say 1kg, total length hook to hook 10 cm.

Attach one spring to a high point, perhaps 1m from the ground.
Hook the mass to the spring.
Hook the second spring to the bottom hook on the mass.
Attach the bottom spring to a point on the ground.

In this way, both springs are partially extended.

Once the system is stable, raise the mass slightly and release.

EDIT: alternately, in your original set-up, replace the mass with a dynamics trolley or roller skate.

Hello there! It's great to hear that this forum has been helpful for you. I would suggest the following approach to study the SHM (simple harmonic motion) of a mass between two springs:

1. Set up the experiment: First, you will need to set up a simple apparatus with two identical springs attached to a rigid base. The springs should be parallel to each other and have a small gap in between to place the mass.

2. Choose the right mass: The mass you use should be small enough to complete one cycle of oscillation between the two springs. You can try using a small metal ball or a lightweight wooden block.

3. Reduce friction: To reduce friction, you can attach a pulley system to the mass and connect it to a string. The string can then pass through a small hole in the base and be connected to a weight on the other end. This will help to minimize friction and allow the mass to complete one cycle of oscillation.

4. Measure the oscillations: Use a stopwatch or a motion sensor to measure the time taken for the mass to complete one cycle of oscillation. Repeat this process multiple times and calculate the average time.

5. Vary the mass and spring constants: To study the relationship between mass and spring constants, you can vary the mass of the object and the stiffness of the springs. Record the time taken for one cycle of oscillation for each combination and plot a graph to observe the relationship.

To make a trolley/mass between two springs, you can use a similar setup as described above, but instead of attaching the springs to a rigid base, you can attach them to a trolley. This will allow the mass to move horizontally between the two springs, creating a different type of SHM.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need clarification. Happy experimenting!

What is mass between two springs?

The mass between two springs is a physical concept that refers to the amount of matter present between two interconnected springs. It is commonly used in the study of mechanical systems, such as oscillating or vibrating systems.

How is mass between two springs calculated?

The mass between two springs is typically calculated by dividing the force applied to the springs by the corresponding acceleration. This can be represented by the equation m = F/a, where m represents the mass, F is the force, and a is the acceleration.

What factors affect the mass between two springs?

The mass between two springs is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the springs, the distance between them, and the amount of force applied. Additionally, the mass between two springs can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and friction.

What is the significance of mass between two springs?

The mass between two springs is an important concept in the study of mechanical systems as it helps determine the behavior and stability of the system. It also plays a role in the design and optimization of various devices and structures, such as shock absorbers and suspension systems.

Can the mass between two springs be changed?

Yes, the mass between two springs can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, the mass can be increased by adding more mass to the system, or it can be decreased by reducing the distance between the springs or by using stiffer springs.