Solved: Calculate Molarity of HCl in 37% Mass by Volume

• Thread starter MichaelXY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, Concentrated Hydrochloric acid is 37% HCl by mass and has a density of 1.19 g/ml. Volume is not given, so I assumed 100 ml. I found that mass = 1.19g/ml (100ml) = 119g, and then I found that 36.5 is 1 mol HCl and so I found that 119g/36.5g = 3.26 mole.
MichaelXY
[SOLVED] % mass by Vol problem

Homework Statement

Concentrated Hydrochloric acid is 37% HCl by mass and has a density of 1.19 g/ml. What is the molarity of HCl.

Homework Equations

Mass = D(V)
1 mole HCl = 36.5g

The Attempt at a Solution

What has thrown me off on this problem is that volume is not given. So I assume 100ml.
With that I can compute mass = 1.19g/ml (100ml) = 119g
Where 36.5 is 1 mol HCl
So then I compute 119g/36.5g = 3.26 mole

Did I do that right? I really don't feel confident on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, you started with 37% HCl.
(0.37)*(100 ml)*(1.19 grams)/(1 ml) = however many grams of HCl

Now, (HCl grams) / (36.5 grams/mole) = the moles of HCl

Take it from there...

Thanks so much, and Gadzooks, how did I miss the 37%. I think I got it. So I end up with 1.2 moles. Molarity = moles/liter, so I have 1.2mol/.1L = a molarity of 12.06
Again thanks. This chapter is is kicking my behind, and my teacher said this chapter is the core of Chemistry. I seem to have trouble seeing the whole picture. Is this just me?

MichaelXY said:
Thanks so much, and Gadzooks, how did I miss the 37%. I think I got it. So I end up with 1.2 moles. Molarity = moles/liter, so I have 1.2mol/.1L = a molarity of 12.06
Again thanks. This chapter is is kicking my behind, and my teacher said this chapter is the core of Chemistry. I seem to have trouble seeing the whole picture. Is this just me?

This must be your first time either studying Elementary Chemistry, or General Chemistry and you never before studied Elementary Chemistry. You'll become accustomed to these calculations with practice.

I guess it shows, and your correct, I never had chem before, in fact I never finished the 10th grade, and now I am playing catch up in a JC. Sorry if my questions are elementary.
But thank you for the help.

1. What is the formula for calculating molarity?

The formula for calculating molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

2. How do you convert a mass percent by volume to molarity?

To convert a mass percent by volume to molarity, you must first convert the mass percentage to grams by multiplying it by the total volume in mL. Then, divide the number of grams by the molar mass of the solute to get moles. Finally, divide the moles by the volume in liters to get the molarity.

3. What is the difference between mass percent and molarity?

Mass percent is a measure of the concentration of a solute in a solution based on its mass, while molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solute in a solution based on its moles.

4. How do you calculate the molarity of HCl in a 37% mass by volume solution?

To calculate the molarity of HCl in a 37% mass by volume solution, you must first convert the mass percentage to grams by multiplying it by the total volume in mL. Then, divide the number of grams by the molar mass of HCl (36.46 g/mol) to get moles. Finally, divide the moles by the volume in liters to get the molarity.

5. What is the significance of calculating molarity in a solution?

The molarity of a solution is an important measure of its concentration and is used to determine the amount of solute present in a given volume of solution. It is also used in various chemical reactions and can help in determining the correct dilution and preparation of solutions for experiments or industrial processes.