How Do You Calculate the Mass Concentration of N2O in Air?

In summary, to determine the mass concentration of N20 at a mixing ratio of 311 ppb at P = 1 atm, T= 298 K, one can find the moles/liter of air (p/RT) and multiply it by the mixing ratio to get the moles/liter of N2O. This value can then be multiplied by the molecular weight of N2O to get the density of N2O.
Nimmy
Please check if right.

Determine the mass concentration for N20 at a mixing ratio of 311 ppb at P = 1 atm, T= 298 K.

My work

#density of N20 = Concentration of N20 * #density air

PV = #moles of air R T

PV/RT = # moles of air

PV/RT = Numberofmolecules/Avagardo # = #moles of air

PV*Avagardo#/RT = Number of molecules of air = # density of air * V

# density of air = P*Avagardo's #/RT

So...

#Densityof N20 = Concentration of N20* P*Avagardo #/RT

DensityofN20 = # density of N20* Molar mass N20/Avagardo's #

DensityofN20 = P*Avagardo's #*Concentration of N20/(RT *molar mass of N20/Avagardo's #)

Avagardo's # cancels out leaving:

Density of N20 = P*Concentration of N20*Molar Mass of N20/(RT)

Now plugging in the numbers lead to

Density of N20 = (1 atm)*(1.101325*10^5 Pa/atm)*(311*10^-9 mol/mol)*(46.00 g/mol) /((8.314 J/mol K)*298 K) = 0.0006 g/m^3

Is this correct step and answer? If so where is the error? Just needs to be verified. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to read your post several times but it is too annoying trying to follow the equations written out like that and I'm lazy.

I'd approach this by PV = NkT
take a billion particles of ideal gas, everything except volume is a given.
You are given 331 of these particles are N2O so just multiply 331 particles per volume by the mass per particle of N2O and you have your answer.

You might have done it right too there are several ways to calculate but I don't think you're going to get much of a response unless you enter your work via LaTex or scan in something hand written.

Much better now?

Let's try this.

Please check if right.

Determine the mass concentration for N20 at a mixing ratio of 311 ppb at P = 1 atm, T= 298 K.

My work

nd N20= CN20 * ndair

P*V = nmoles air* R * T

(P*V)/(RT) = nmoles air

(P*V)/(R*T) = N molecules air/Av = nmoles air

(P*V*Av)/(R*T) = N molecules air= ndair * V

ndair= (P*Av)/(RT)

So...

ndN20 = CN20* (P*Av/RT)

ρN20 = ndN20* (MN20/Av)

ρN20= ((P*Av*CN20)/(RT *MN20/Av))

Avagardo's # cancels out leaving:

ρN20= (P*CN20*MN20/(R*T))

Now plugging in the numbers lead to

ρN20= (1 atm)*(1.101325*10^5 Pa/atm)*(311*10^-9 mol/mol)*(46.00 g/mol) /((8.314 J/mol K)*298 K) = 0.0006 g/m^3

Is this correct step and answer? If so where is the error? Just needs to be verified. Thanks.

Find the moles/liter of air (p/RT). Multiply by the mixing ratio to get the moles/liter of N2O. Multiply by the molecular weight of N2O to get the density of N2O.

Chestermiller said:
Find the moles/liter of air (p/RT). Multiply by the mixing ratio to get the moles/liter of N2O. Multiply by the molecular weight of N2O to get the density of N2O.

Perfect that matches with what I wrote it seems. Thanks. :)

1. What is mass concentration?

Mass concentration refers to the amount of a substance per unit volume of a solution. It is often expressed in units of grams per liter (g/L) or milligrams per liter (mg/L).

2. How is mass concentration calculated?

Mass concentration is calculated by dividing the mass of the solute (in grams) by the volume of the solution (in liters). This can also be expressed as the product of the concentration of the solute (in g/L or mg/L) and the volume of the solution (in L).

3. What is the difference between mass concentration and molar concentration?

Mass concentration measures the amount of substance per unit volume of a solution, while molar concentration measures the number of moles of a solute per unit volume of a solution. Molar concentration takes into account the molecular weight of the solute, while mass concentration does not.

4. How does temperature affect mass concentration?

Temperature can affect mass concentration by changing the volume of the solution. As temperature increases, the volume of the solution also increases, which can result in a lower mass concentration. However, this can also depend on the specific solute and solvent being used.

5. What is the importance of knowing mass concentration?

Mass concentration is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental science. It is used to accurately measure and express the amount of a substance in a solution, which can help in understanding chemical reactions, determining appropriate dosages in medicine, and monitoring pollutants in the environment.