1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Connected to two springs

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass [itex]m[/itex] rests on a frictionless horizontal table and is connected to rigid supports via two identical springs each of relaxed length [itex]l_{0}[/itex] and spring constant [itex]k[/itex]. Each spring is stretched to a length [itex]l[/itex] considerably greater than [itex]l_{0}[/itex]. Horizontal displacements of [itex]m[/itex] from its equilibrium position are labeled [itex]x[/itex] (along AB) and [itex]y[/itex] (perpendicular to AB).

*see attached image or link*

(a) Write down the differential equiation of motion (i.e., Newton's law) governing small oscillations in the [itex]x[/itex] direction.
    (b) Write down the differential equiation of motion governing small oscillations in the [itex]y[/itex] direction (assume [itex]y[/itex]<<[itex]l[/itex]).
    (c) In terms of [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]l_{0}[/itex], calculate the ratio of the periods of oscillation along [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex].

The rest of the question can be found on page 86 at http://www.scribd.com/doc/160672855/Vibrations-and-Waves-a-P-French

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    F = ma \\
    a^{2} + b^{2} = c^{2} \\
    sin(\theta)≈tan(\theta) \text{ when } \theta \text{ is small} \\
    (1+a)^{n} ≈ 1 + na \frac{n(n-1)a^{2}}{2!} +...\\
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) I imagined a small displacement [itex]x[/itex] to the right, which I also declared to be positive.
    [tex]
    -k(l + x - l_{0}) + k(l-x-l_{0}) = ma \\
    -2kx = ma \\
    0 = ma + 2kx
    [/tex]

(b) I tried going about this using some of the techniques discussed while doing question 3-7 which can be found here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694259 But my answer doesn't match the one in the back of the book and I'm not sure why.

I also imagined a small displacement [itex]y[/itex] so there is some force in each of the springs such that [itex]F_{L} = F_{R} = F[/itex], then the equation of motion in the [itex]y[/itex] direction looks like:
    [tex]
    2Fsin(\theta) = ma \\
    sin(\theta) ≈ tan(\theta) = \frac{y}{l} \text{ *see attached attempt at inkscape*} \\
    2F \frac{y}{l} = ma
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    F = k(l'-l_{0}) \\
    F = k\left(\left(y^{2}+l^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}-l_{0}\right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    2k\left(\left(y^{2}+l^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}-l_{0}\right) \frac{y}{l} = ma\\
    2k\left(l\left(1+\left(\frac{y}{l}\right)^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}-l_{0}\right) \frac{y}{l} = ma\\
    \text{using the binomial approx...}\\
    2k\left(l\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{y}{l}\right)^{2}\right)-l_{0}\right) \frac{y}{l} = ma\\
    2k\left(y+\frac{y^{3}}{2l^{2}}-\frac{l_{0}}{l} y\right) = ma \\
    \text{assuming y is small} \\
    2k\left(1-\frac{l_{0}}{l}\right)y = ma \\
    0 = ma + 2k\left(1-\frac{l_{0}}{l}\right)y
    [/tex]
    Also I see in the last step there is something going on with a sign, maybe it's because the way I set it up the displacement is in the negative direction.

(c)
    [tex]
    \omega_{x} = \left(\frac{2k}{m}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}\\
    \omega_{y} = \left(\frac{2k\left(1-\frac{l_{0}}{l}\right)}{m}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}\\
    \frac{T_{x}}{T_{y}} = \left(1-\frac{l_{0}}{l}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \\
    \text{The answer in the back of the book is:}\\
    \frac{T_{x}}{T_{y}} = \left(1-\frac{l_{0}}{l}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You just made an algebra mistake in the last step. The ratio ##\frac{T_x}{T_y} = \frac{\omega_y}{\omega_x}## has ##\omega_y## on top so it should be proportional to ##(1-l/l_0)^{+1/2}##.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    because
    [tex]
    T_{x} = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega_{x}}
    [/tex]
    right on vela, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted