1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Density

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    Please correct me if wrong, but to explain why the mass of the pile is not pV = (2700 kg/m3)(1.0 m3) = 2700 kg, is because a pile of empty cans, its volume would be more of a dimension vs a weight. please explain concept if someone can. Thank you

Question: A pile of empty aluminum cans has a volume of 1.0 m3. The density of aluminum is 2700 kg/m3. Explain why the mass of the pile is not "p(alumin)*V "= (2700 kg/m3)(1.0 m3) = 2700 kg. Used from the formula p=m/V

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The mass of some volume of stuff is [itex]m = \rho V[/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of whatever stuff fills the volume. Only if it were solid aluminum, would [itex]\rho[/itex] equal the density of aluminum. An empty can is mostly air, so the average density is much less than that of pure aluminum.

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the assistance, I overlooked the cans as having space within. I guess sometime the obvious to some may be difficult to see for others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?