Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mass Density

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    Please correct me if wrong, but to explain why the mass of the pile is not pV = (2700 kg/m3)(1.0 m3) = 2700 kg, is because a pile of empty cans, its volume would be more of a dimension vs a weight. please explain concept if someone can. Thank you

Question: A pile of empty aluminum cans has a volume of 1.0 m3. The density of aluminum is 2700 kg/m3. Explain why the mass of the pile is not "p(alumin)*V "= (2700 kg/m3)(1.0 m3) = 2700 kg. Used from the formula p=m/V

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The mass of some volume of stuff is [itex]m = \rho V[/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of whatever stuff fills the volume. Only if it were solid aluminum, would [itex]\rho[/itex] equal the density of aluminum. An empty can is mostly air, so the average density is much less than that of pure aluminum.

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the assistance, I overlooked the cans as having space within. I guess sometime the obvious to some may be difficult to see for others.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook