Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass dependency on charge

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    it may bit a fuzzy problem but still i have this confusion i.e suppose i have two sphere of same radius & all physical & material properties are same but 1st sphere has a charge of 0.0000001C & another have 100C. and if i measure the weight of both then which will be heavier????

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, charge has no mass or weight.

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    hello Astro-
    One gram molecular weight (GMW) of electrons has a mass of 0.0005446 grams. 100 C of electrons has a mass about 96 times less. So a sphere with +100 C of charge will have a lesser mass than an "identical" sphere with -100C, because electrons have a negative charge.

"identical" means the same number of protons and neutrons.
    Bob S

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    hey bob!
    can u plz explain that how 100 C of electrons has a mass about 96 times less.

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    Sure. A GMW (gram molecular weight) of protons has a mass of 1 gram, and contains 6,02 x 1023 protons (approximately). The mass of an electron has a mass 1836 times less (remember hydrogen atom). The charge on an electron is 1.6 x 10-19 Coulomb, so a Coulomb contains 6.25 x 1018 electrons. So a GMW of electrons contains 96,320 Coulombs of electrons.
    Bob S

7. Oct 17, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you'll need to supply more information about what exactly you're trying to calculate here. Is it the mass of electrons? (And remember, if I have a positive charge, I'm removing electrons). Is it the relativistic mass equivalent of the potential energy from assembling this charge configuration? Is it something else?

8. Oct 17, 2009 #7
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    Hi Vanadium50-
    This is calculating the rest mass of each sphere in isolation. [STRIKE][STRIKE][STRIKE]When the two spheres are brought close together, the Coulomb force is about [STRIKE]8[/STRIKE]9 billion (9 x 109) Newtons at 100 meters, so perhaps a kilometer might be better[/STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE].
    [STRIKE]Because the positive sphere is missing 100 Coulombs of electrons, and the negative one has 100 Coulombs of extra electrons,[/STRIKE] the more negatively charged sphere has more mass.
    Bob S

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  9. Oct 17, 2009 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Bob, I think it's best for the OP to tell us what he is trying to calculate rather than guessing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook