Do Neutrons Have Different Masses in Different Isotopes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the molecular weight calculator and the differences in mass for different isotopes. The question of whether neutrons have different mass is also brought up, with the explanation that all neutrons have the same mass but the mass of an atomic nucleus is less due to the release of energy. The topic of binding energy is also mentioned as a further explanation.
Chenghui Yuan
My physics is not good, please kindly don't judge my physics.
In some molecular weight calculator to get mono-isotope neutral mass for atoms listed below.
In FTICR, we could find these difference. For example,
m/z 101.960035, ^1H^35Cl^16O3^18O
m/z 101.952838, ^1H^37Cl^16O4
Here is my question. Do neutrons have different mass and why or good explanations?
Thanks.

16^O 15.994915
18^O 17.999161
difference 2.004246
35^Cl 34.968853
37^Cl 36.965903
difference 1.99705

Physics news on Phys.org
Chenghui Yuan said:
Do neutrons have different mass and why or good explanations?
All neutrons have the same mass, as do all protons. However, if you take two or more of these particles and bring them together in an atomic nucleus, some energy will be released and because of Einstein's ##E=mc^2## the mass of the nucleus will be less than the mass of the individual nucleons (neutrons and protons) of which the nucleus is composed.

If you google for "binding energy" you will find a bunch of more detailed explanations and examples.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. This is what I search for.

1. What is the mass of a neutron?

The mass of a neutron is approximately 1.0087 atomic mass units (AMU) or 1.675×10−27 kilograms.

2. How does the mass of a neutron compare to the mass of a proton?

The mass of a neutron is slightly greater than the mass of a proton, with a difference of approximately 0.001 AMU.

3. Why is the mass of a neutron important in nuclear reactions?

The mass of a neutron is important in nuclear reactions because it determines the stability of atoms and the type of decay they undergo.

4. Does the mass of a neutron vary in different elements?

No, the mass of a neutron is constant across all elements. However, isotopes of an element may have different numbers of neutrons, resulting in a slightly different mass.

5. How is the mass of a neutron measured?

The mass of a neutron is measured using a mass spectrometer, which separates particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The mass of a neutron can also be calculated using its energy and momentum in certain experiments.