Calculating Retarding Force for a Free Falling Mass

In summary: Exactly, there are often multiple ways to solve a physics problem. It's important to understand the concepts and principles behind the equations and to choose the method that makes the most sense to you. Great job working through it!
gary32

Homework Statement

I need to work out the following;
A spherical mass of 5kg is allowed to free fall through a distance of 6m onto a shock absorbent surface without rebound. If the mass penetrates into the surface a distance of 0.6mm before stopping, find the minimum retarding focre on the mass. Use any preferred method and assume negligible air resistance during free fall.

Homework Equations

F = Mass x Acceleration ?
Acceleration = V-U
It's the equation I'm looking for that's the problem,

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it just be the gravitational constant i need for acceleration?
F = 5kg x 9.81 x 6m = 294.3
and then work out the opposite for minimum retarding force on slow down (not sure what to do now)?

Any help would be great,
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gary32 said:
Use any preferred method

I believe they are referring to momentum or energy. You seem to be onto the latter. Recall the work energy theorem.

gary32 said:
F = 5kg x 9.81 x 6m = 294.3

That is actually work, not force. F=ma, W= ∫F dx = Fd for a constant force = mad

serllus reuel said:
I believe they are referring to momentum or energy. You seem to be onto the latter. Recall the work energy theorem.

That is actually work, not force. F=ma, W= ∫F dx = Fd for a constant force = mad

Thanks for your quick responce,
So where do I go from here :/

You should perhaps read the section on work and energy in your textbook.
The ball goes from rest at 6m height, to motion, to rest on the floor.
work is force times the distance which the force acts. The amount of work done is equal to the chance in energy. In this case, since air resistance is negligible, the work done by gravity is equal to the increase in kinetic energy.

So in the process of falling, the ball gained a certain amount of KE from work by gravity. As it comes to rest, all this KE must go away (and be converted into heat, sound, etc) This is the result of work done by the floor. That is why the ball cannot stop instantly; it must be in contact with the floor for some vertical DISTANCE.

In summary, conservation of energy is your friend. There is no initial or final KE (it starts from rest and ends at rest), so work in = work out, F of gravity * dist = stopping force * dist

serllus reuel said:
You should perhaps read the section on work and energy in your textbook.
The ball goes from rest at 6m height, to motion, to rest on the floor.
work is force times the distance which the force acts. The amount of work done is equal to the chance in energy. In this case, since air resistance is negligible, the work done by gravity is equal to the increase in kinetic energy.

So in the process of falling, the ball gained a certain amount of KE from work by gravity. As it comes to rest, all this KE must go away (and be converted into heat, sound, etc) This is the result of work done by the floor. That is why the ball cannot stop instantly; it must be in contact with the floor for some vertical DISTANCE.

In summary, conservation of energy is your friend. There is no initial or final KE (it starts from rest and ends at rest), so work in = work out, F of gravity * dist = stopping force * dist

Thanks, I have reviewed KE,

I have now came to this,

KE = Mass x Dist x Grav = 294.3J

So, the work done on its downfall is 294.3J so that energy must be released in 0.6mm as stated so

Minimum retarding force = 294.3 / (0.6 x 1000) <-- to convert to metres, which equals
= 490500Newtons

That sound fairly reasonable answer but seems too easy :/

gary32 said:
Thanks, I have reviewed KE,

I have now came to this,

KE = Mass x Dist x Grav = 294.3J

So, the work done on its downfall is 294.3J so that energy must be released in 0.6mm as stated so

Minimum retarding force = 294.3 / (0.6 x 1000) <-- to convert to metres, which equals
= 490500Newtons

That sound fairly reasonable answer but seems too easy :/

It is correct (taking g = 9.81m/s2). Here is another solution:

The speed of the ball after its descent through 6m is ##v = \sqrt{2gh}##. The ball now travels a distance of .6mm penetration (and is ultimately at rest) so it undergoes an acceleration ##a = -u^2/2s## where s = .6mm and ##u = \sqrt{2gh}##. Hence the force applied is ##F = ma = -mu^2/2s##.

That seems right. The force is huge because it acts on such a short distance.

@CAF123 that is an interesting approach using kinematic equations (although it is equivalent to energy)

CAF123 said:
It is correct (taking g = 9.81m/s2). Here is another solution:

The speed of the ball after its descent through 6m is ##v = \sqrt{2gh}##. The ball now travels a distance of .6mm penetration (and is ultimately at rest) so it undergoes an acceleration ##a = -u^2/2s## where s = .6mm and ##u = \sqrt{2gh}##. Hence the force applied is ##F = ma = -mu^2/2s##.

This seems a little advanced for me however makes a little bit of sense, it did say use any preferred method so basically hinting there is more than one way as you just described,
Thanks

serllus reuel said:
That seems right. The force is huge because it acts on such a short distance.

Great, I can see it all so much clearer now, I don't see why I had a problem in the first place, I think it because I am not confident with all the different equations and how 1 parameter affects another and when it should be implemented to the workings out

Thanks!

gary32 said:
This seems a little advanced for me however makes a little bit of sense, it did say use any preferred method so basically hinting there is more than one way as you just described

I was thinking of momentum, which is WAY more complicated. The above method is perhaps more fundamental as it is essentially deriving the work energy theorem for a constant force.

recall v2 = v02 +2aΔx

serllus reuel said:
I was thinking of momentum, which is WAY more complicated. The above method is perhaps more fundamental as it is essentially deriving the work energy theorem for a constant force.

recall v2 = v02 +2aΔx

That looks like the formula I used in my other question

v^2 = u^2 + 2a x d

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=698522
Help would be appreciated if you could,

gary32 said:
= 490500Newtons

I guess you meant 294.3 / (0.6 / 1000)

haruspex said:
I guess you meant 294.3 / (0.6 / 1000)

Indeed I did :redface: Does everything else look okay?

gary32 said:
Indeed I did :redface: Does everything else look okay?
Yes. Mind you, I don't like the way the question is worded. What does 'minimum retarding force' mean? In general, the force will not be constant through the impact. You have calculated what the force would be if it were constant, so at different points during the impact it could be both more and less than that. I believe the question should have asked for the minimum value of the maximum retarding force.

haruspex said:
Yes. Mind you, I don't like the way the question is worded. What does 'minimum retarding force' mean? In general, the force will not be constant through the impact. You have calculated what the force would be if it were constant, so at different points during the impact it could be both more and less than that. I believe the question should have asked for the minimum value of the maximum retarding force.

Yeah, I see what you are saying, the amount of force during different depths of penetration of the mass is changing.

sounds like an oxymoron lol.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass, distance, and force?

The formula for mass, distance, and force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between the two objects.

2. What is the importance of the mass distance force formula?

The mass distance force formula is important because it helps us understand the relationship between mass, distance, and force. It is also used in many scientific fields, such as physics and astronomy, to calculate the forces between objects.

3. How is the mass distance force formula derived?

The mass distance force formula is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can the mass distance force formula be applied to objects other than planets?

Yes, the mass distance force formula can be applied to any two objects that have mass and are separated by a distance. It is commonly used to calculate the gravitational force between planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

5. How does the mass distance force formula relate to gravity?

The mass distance force formula is a way to mathematically express the force of gravity between two objects. It shows that the strength of the gravitational force is dependent on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.