Computing Mass Distribution in Statics Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object of mass M with known coordinates of its center of gravity and contact points to the ground. The question at hand is how to compute the mass distribution among the various contact points, taking into consideration the potential impact of the center of gravity on the contact points. The problem is compared to a statics problem involving a beam on supports.
Enrico Miccolis
Hello,

I would like to ask the following question :

--> I have an object of mass M (represented by the blue potato in the two attached drawings).
--> I know the coordinates (x,y) of its Center of Gravity (reprensented by big red cross).
--> I also know the coordinates of its contact points to the ground (reprensented by the 5 bleue crosses).
(In this example, there are 5, but it can be more .. or less)

I would like to know how to compute the mass distribution amongst the various contact points.
(I assume that depending on where the COG lies in my Object... some contact points might act as a lever on the others and raise them from the ground).

Thanks in advance.
Enrico.

MassDistribution1.png

MassDistribution2.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you are describing is a statics problem - you should be able to think your way through it by comparing with the work you've probably done with a beam on supports.

1. What is the mass distribution problem?

The mass distribution problem is a scientific concept that describes the uneven distribution of matter in the universe. It refers to the fact that the matter in the universe is not evenly spread out, but rather clumped together in certain areas.

2. How does the mass distribution problem relate to cosmology?

The mass distribution problem is an important topic in cosmology, as it affects our understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe. It plays a role in theories such as the Big Bang and the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures.

3. What causes the mass distribution problem?

The exact cause of the mass distribution problem is not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the distribution of dark matter and dark energy in the universe. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and is thought to make up a large portion of the universe's mass, while dark energy is a mysterious force that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

4. How is the mass distribution problem studied by scientists?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the mass distribution problem, including observations from telescopes and satellites, computer simulations, and mathematical models. They also use data from the cosmic microwave background, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang, to understand the distribution of matter in the early universe.

5. What are the implications of the mass distribution problem?

The mass distribution problem has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It can help us determine the fate of the universe and the role of dark matter and dark energy in its expansion. It also has implications for the formation and growth of galaxies and the distribution of matter on a large scale.