Mass doesn not effect speed of dropped objects

• Thread starter JeepinBob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Speed
In summary, Galileo proved that objects of different masses fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity being a function of mass and distance. This is determined by the universal law of gravitation and can be seen by equating the forces acting on the two objects. However, in practical experiments, air resistance may affect the time it takes for objects to reach the ground due to their different sizes and masses. Ultimately, this all depends on the relative mass and acceleration of the objects.
I understood exactly what you meant, Russ. I just posted for ernest's sake. I get the impression that he's being deliberately difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy said:
I understood exactly what you meant, Russ. I just posted for ernest's sake. I get the impression that he's being deliberately difficult.
I figured you did - I was confirming and amplifying.

TurtleMeister said:
mikelepore said:
The way I like to say that is:
F=ma
a=F/m
The ratio (F_big / m_big) is equal to the ratio (F_small / m_small).
Both are the same value of "a".

What is F_big and F_small?

I meant, for example, drop two objects near the surface of the earth.

Drop a 10 kg object (the smaller mass) and a 100,000 kg object (the bigger mass).

For each object, express its acceleration by expressing the ratio of the gravitational force that the Earth exerts on the object to the mass of the object.

10 kg object:
a = F_small / m_small = 98 N / 10 kg = 9.8 m/s^2

100,000 kg object:
a = F_big / m_big = 980,000 N / 100,000 kg = 9.8 m/s^2

The two objects experience the same acceleration.

mikelepore said:
I meant, for example, drop two objects near the surface of the earth.
I understand. Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of the force between the Earth and only one object. My fault in misunderstanding.