Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass energy conservation

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    Im confused with mass energy conservation. i get that mass and energy are conserved but i dont understand how mass can become energy and visa versa.. can anyone help explain it to me in another way?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi matt_crouch! Welcome to PF! :smile:

An example: in nuclear fusion, two masses combine to a lesser mass and give off energy.

The mass-plus-energy is the same before as after. :smile:

5. Dec 4, 2008 #4
    But what i find confussing is how can someone get heavier as they gain energy. for example someone going up in a lift gains potential energy and mass?

are they gaining matter? or can energy be matter.. if u see what im getting it. how can a gain in energy cause a gain in kilograms.

im probably just makeing it more confusing =]

6. Dec 4, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The work-energy theorem still applies …

the special relativistic increase in mass due to velocity is balanced by the work done in increasing the speed

and the general relativistic increase in mass due to lower gravitational potential is balanced by the work done by gravity. :smile:

7. Dec 4, 2008 #6
    ahh ok i get it.. i think cheers for the help :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?