Mass falling along half circle

In summary, when pulling a small particle to the top of a frictionless half cylinder, the force is F=mg*cos(x). The equation giving the force vector is cos(x)=mg/F. The resultant force acting on the mass is mg*cos(x)+N, which is mg/cos(x)+N.
spizma

Homework Statement

A small particle of mass m is pulled to the top of a frictionless
half-cylinder (of radius r) by a cord that passes
over the top of the cylinder, as illustrated in Figure
P7.20. (a) If the particle moves at a constant speed, show
that F = mg*cos(x). (Note: If the particle moves at constant
speed, the component of its acceleration tangent to the
cylinder must be zero at all times.)

See picture 1

Homework Equations

Force of gravity = mg

cos(x)=adj/hyp

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I figured that what you really need to do is find an equation giving the force vector of the particle. Picture 2 illustrates what I figured. The smaller triangle is the one from the half circle. The larger triangle is for the force vector of the triangle. Because the force vector is tangent to the circle, the radius must be perpendicular with the force vector. From there you can find the top angle of the large triangle. From that you can write cos(x)= mg/F. That gives you F = mg/cos(x), which is wrong. This has been bothering me for a while. The solution is probably something very simple I'm just missing. Could someone please help?

Attachments

• picture1.gif
    picture1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,389
  • picture2.gif
    picture2.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,355
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to anyone who is willing to help, I have to go to bed and I won't be able to be here again until early afternoon tomorrow, so don't expect a response back until then.

That's the usual problem with posting figures to be approved. I suspect you have confused the triangle of the positional geometry with the triangle of the force geometry, but I was waiting you see your pictures. G'night.

Some hints:

There is another force acting on the particle, the normal force, but it is not relevant to the getting the answer.

Since it is being pulled upwards F should point in the opposite direction.

Consider the fact that the tangential forces (components) needs to be in equilibrium.

you are pulling the mass from the other side of the half cylinder right?

what is the resultant force acting on the mass at any point?

be careful when resolving the vectors.

also, it says the mass moves with constant velocity. resultant acceleration is zero.
what does this imply about resultant force?

You've drawn the force diagram wrong. F and mg don't have the same vertical component. There are three forces acting on the mass. F, a normal force N and gravity. F+N=mg. F and N are perpendicular. mg is vertical. mg is the HYPOTENUSE.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Alright I figured out what I was doing wrong, and how to get the right answer (F=mg*cos(x)). Thanks Dick and everyone else for the help!

What is the concept of mass falling along a half circle?

The concept of mass falling along a half circle refers to the motion of an object with mass as it falls along a semicircle path under the influence of gravity.

What factors affect the speed of mass falling along a half circle?

The speed of mass falling along a half circle is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the half circle, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How is the acceleration of mass falling along a half circle calculated?

The acceleration of mass falling along a half circle can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the half circle.

What is the difference between mass falling along a half circle and mass falling in a straight line?

The main difference between mass falling along a half circle and mass falling in a straight line is the path of motion. In a straight line, the object falls vertically downwards, while in a half circle, the object follows a curved path.

How does air resistance affect the motion of mass falling along a half circle?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of mass falling along a half circle, as it creates a force that opposes the motion of the object. This is why objects with larger surface areas tend to fall slower along a half circle than objects with smaller surface areas.