How can I calculate the mass flow rate out of a PSV valve?

In summary: V has a great article on this as well: pressure relief valves - what you need to know In summary, the pressure relief valve should be sized based on the back pressure and the maximum mass flow rate out of the valve. The relief valve should also be certified by the ASME.
0507476h
Hi all,

I am designing a pressure relief system for a high pressured gas (air) system. System consists of a highly pressurised gas receiver with PSV mounted driectly on it which vents via tailpipes to atmosphere.

I know the max mass flow rate out of the container
I know the back pressure accumulated by the piping etc downstream of the valve, therefore I know the differential pressure across the valve

How do I calculate the mass flow rate out of the valve?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Theoretically you can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate a velocity, and therefore a mass flow. However, there will be frictional losses through the valve; you may need to consult with the manufacturer to obtain some sort of friction factor.

Also, if the velocity and Mach number are high enough, you may need to consider compressibility factors.

You should also consult the ASME specs in which they spell out how to size pressure reliefs for pressure piping systems, which relates to the BPV code.

Hi minger,
minger said:
Theoretically you can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate a velocity, and therefore a mass flow. However, there will be frictional losses through the valve; you may need to consult with the manufacturer to obtain some sort of friction factor.

Also, if the velocity and Mach number are high enough, you may need to consider compressibility factors.
That's actually a very good answer. ASME BPV Code regulates the RV industry to a large degree. They certify relief valves and also provide equations to determine relief capacity. Any company that manufactures relief valves and wants to have them stamped must meet the same basic kind of regulations that pressure vessel manufacturers must meet. That is to say, relief valve manufacturers are audited by the national board just as vessel manufacturers are. And RV manufacturers have to test the performance of their valves under ASME code conditions, just as vessel manufacturers must test their vessels under ASME code conditions.

ASME Section VIII, Div 1, provides requirements for both RV certification and sizing valves. Not sure if Div 1 provides ALL the requirements for certification, but it provides all the requirements for calculating flow. They're provided in mandatory appendix 11. The equations are based on Bernoulli's equation and other factors that are taken into consideration such as compressibility factors, two phase flow, etc...

Also, there is something called a coefficient of discharge, which is basically the same as what minger is referring to as a "friction factor". The relief valve manufacturer can provide this since it's a value that is certified by test.

For air, the equation is:
Wa = CKAP(M/T)^.5

where
Wa = flow (lbm/hr)
C = 356
K = Coefficient of discharge as provided by valve mfg.
A = area of RV orifice (in2) as provided by valve mfg.
P = Pressure (psia) that is 10% higher than relief device set pressure (ex: if RV set pressure is 100 psig, P = (100 *1.1) + 14.7 = 124.7 psia)
M = molecular weight = 28.97
T = absolute temperature (R)

Last edited:
Just to add to what everyone else has said...

API RP520 (Part I) has a lot of good information as well for PRV's.

I would also note that the mass flow rate will differ depending on whether the flow is critical or sub-critical. Q_Goest's equation is for critical flow, however I would also consider the compressibility factor (since it is gas relief) and even an additional K_b capacity correction factor for back pressure (this is in addition to the discharge coefficient).

Typically I would check to see if the flow is critical or sub-critical first, then use the appropriate equation based on that. If the pressure downstream of the nozzle is less than or equal to the critical flow pressure, then critical flow will occur. If the downstream pressure exceeds the critical flow pressure, then sub-critical flow will occur.

Just my 2 cents...

CS

1. What is the definition of mass flow rate through PSV?

The mass flow rate through PSV (Pressure Safety Valve) is the amount of fluid that passes through the valve per unit of time. It is typically measured in pounds per hour (lb/h) or kilograms per hour (kg/h).

2. How is the mass flow rate through PSV calculated?

The mass flow rate through PSV can be calculated using the following formula: Mass flow rate = Valve capacity / Pressure drop across the valve. The valve capacity is typically provided by the manufacturer, while the pressure drop can be measured through pressure gauges.

3. What factors can affect the mass flow rate through PSV?

The mass flow rate through PSV can be affected by factors such as the size and type of the valve, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and the condition of the valve. Other factors such as backpressure, valve leakage, and fouling can also impact the mass flow rate.

4. How does the mass flow rate through PSV impact process safety?

The mass flow rate through PSV plays a critical role in process safety as it helps to control the flow of fluids in a system and prevent overpressure. If the mass flow rate is too low, it may not be able to relieve the pressure in a timely manner, while a high mass flow rate can result in excessive fluid loss and potential hazards.

5. What are the best practices for monitoring and maintaining the mass flow rate through PSV?

To ensure the proper functioning of PSV, it is essential to regularly monitor and maintain the mass flow rate. This can be achieved by performing routine inspections, testing the valve at regular intervals, and promptly addressing any issues or abnormalities. Additionally, keeping accurate records and following manufacturer guidelines for maintenance can help to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the PSV.