Calculating Mass Flow Rate of Steam Turbine

In summary, steam enters a turbine at 3 MPa and 450°C, expands in a reversible adiabatic process, and exhausts at 10 kPa, with a power output of 800 kW. The conversation is about a problem involving the calculation of the mass flow rate for a turbine, and the person sharing the information has used the correct method to solve it and is seeking confirmation before a test. Another person mentions applying an equation for a project involving an ORC turbine and 134a refrigerant gas.
JSBeckton
Steam enters a turbine at 3 mpa and 450 c, expands in a reversible adaibatic process, (KE and PE are negligible) and exhausts at 10 kpa. The power output of the turbine is 800 kW. What is the mass flow rate?

I did the problem but I don't know if the anwser is correct and wanted to check because we have a test next week so I don't want to practice doing this the problem the wrong way all weekend.

Thanks

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/963/img021bz2.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the numbers, but your method of solving is very correct. Well done! :approve:

Thanks Siddharth

Dear jsbeckton i have also seen the equation i am working on orc turbine can i apply this equation for calculation with 134a refregrent gas in my project

I understand the importance of accuracy and verifying calculations, especially when preparing for a test. I have reviewed the problem and your solution, and based on my calculations, I can confirm that your answer for the mass flow rate is correct. However, it is always a good practice to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent. In this case, it would be helpful to convert the pressure units to the same system (e.g. MPa or kPa) before plugging them into the equation. Additionally, it may be beneficial to show the units in your final answer to ensure the correct magnitude is conveyed. Keep up the good work and good luck on your test!

1. How is mass flow rate of a steam turbine calculated?

The mass flow rate of a steam turbine is calculated by dividing the total steam flow rate by the specific volume of the steam at the given conditions, which can be determined using steam tables or equations specific to the type of steam being used.

2. What factors affect the mass flow rate of a steam turbine?

The mass flow rate of a steam turbine is affected by the size and design of the turbine, the temperature and pressure of the steam, and any restrictions or obstructions in the steam flow path. Changes in these factors can impact the efficiency and performance of the turbine.

3. How does the mass flow rate of a steam turbine impact its power output?

The mass flow rate of a steam turbine is directly proportional to its power output. A higher mass flow rate means more steam is flowing through the turbine, which results in a higher power output. Conversely, a lower mass flow rate will result in a lower power output.

4. Can the mass flow rate of a steam turbine be controlled?

Yes, the mass flow rate of a steam turbine can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the steam inlet valve, changing the blade angles, or using a governor system. These methods can help maintain a steady and optimal mass flow rate for the turbine.

5. How is the mass flow rate of a steam turbine measured?

The mass flow rate of a steam turbine can be measured using a flow meter, which can be either a volumetric or mass flow meter. These meters measure the volume or mass of steam passing through a given point in a specific amount of time, allowing for the calculation of the mass flow rate.