1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass flow rate

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a Coriolis mass flow meter and I'm supposed to run water through it at different flow rates. I have a motor / pump which is controlled by AC drive (which is controlled by potentiometer). Also, I have a pressure transducer mounted at the input side of Coriolis mass flow meter

2. Relevant equations
    1. If I have to achieve a flow rate of X lb/min then at what speed (rpm) I should be running the motor / pump? Is there any equation that governs flow rate and motor / pump frequency?

2. Is there any equation that governs pressure at inlet of mass flow meter v/s the flow rate or motor / pump frequency?

3. The attempt at a solution
    NA

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No there is no such equation because all motors are different. I can't quite tell, but it seems that you are supposed to find out what the flow rate is for this pump by using the flow rate meter. What is the assignment, exactly, word for word?

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    You will need to contact the pump manufacturer and get the pump curve for the pump you are using. It will show you the relationship between volumetric flow rate (gallons per minute) and head (feet). You can then use pump affinity laws to determine how flow capacity of your pump changes when pump speed changes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook