Mass flux in gaseous mixture

In summary, the homework statement states that a gas mixture contains 50% He and 50% O2 by volume at 500 K and 1 bar. The absolute mass fluxes of each species along the transportation direction z are -0.8 kg/m2 s and 0.8 kg/m2 s, and the mass and molar average velocities are 2.1 m/s and 16.7 m/s, respectively.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A gas mixture contains 50% He and 50% O2 by volume at 500 K and 1 bar. The absolute
mass fluxes of each species along the transportation direction z are ##\hat J_{He} = -0.8 \frac {kg}{m^{2} s}## and ##\hat J_{O_{2}} = 0.8 \frac {kg}{m^{2} s}##. Determine the mass and molar average velocities. Also determine the mass and molar diffusion fluxes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I am having considerable trouble solving this problem. The main reason I believe is because of all these definitions of terms and sorting them out. I will explain my thoughts. Firstly, I would like to mention that I will use the carat ''^" to denote mass quantities and ''~" for molar quantities.

So to begin, I figure I will calculate the mass concentration of oxygen, using the ideal gas law modified with the molar mass included,

## P_{O_{2}} V_{O_{2}}M_{O_{2}} = N_{O_{2}} M_{O_{2}}RT##
[tex] \hat C_{O_{2}} = \frac {P_{O_{2}}M_{O_{2}}}{RT} [/tex]
where ##P_{O_{2}} = y_{O_{2}}P = 0.5P##
So now I have the mass concentration of oxygen, and I divide the total mass flux given in the problem by the mass concentration to get the so called "average mass velocity".
[tex] \bar V_{O_{2}}^{mass} = \frac {\hat J_{O_{2}}}{\hat C_{O_{2}}} [/tex]
I calculate 2.08 meters/sec

Now, if I do the ''molar average velocity"
[tex] \tilde J_{O_{2}} = \frac { \hat J_{O_{2}}}{M_{O_{2}}}[/tex]
[tex] \tilde C_{O_{2}} = \frac {P_{O_{2}}}{RT}[/tex]
[tex] \bar V_{O_{2}}^{molar} = \frac {\tilde J_{O_{2}}}{\tilde C_{O_{2}}} [/tex]
Once again, I end up with 2.08 meters/sec.

So I do not know how to differentiate "average mass velocity'' from "average molar velocity". I thought velocity is velocity is velocity, period. I reckon this might have something to do with my partial pressure, one should be based on molar fraction, and the other on mass fraction, since I am using volume fraction right now. How can I go from a volume fraction to a mass fraction?

EDIT: I now know how to convert, I just use the ratio of the densities. I find that the mass fraction, ##\hat y_{O_{2}} = 0.889##. Now, I go back to my ideal gas law,
##P_{O_{2}}V_{O_{2}}M_{O_{2}} = N_{O_{2}}M_{O_{2}}RT##
But I am unsure of where I should make the substitution in with the mass fraction. I guess it would be ##P_{O_{2}} = \hat y_{O_{2}}P##?? If so, I find
$$ \hat C_{O_{2}} = \frac {\hat y_{O_{2}}PM_{O_{2}}}{RT} $$
and I calculate the mass concentration to be 0.684 kg/m^3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the velocity of oxygen is correct. But, when they're asking for the mass average velocity, what they want is the mass average velocity of the combined stream, not of each species. The same goes for molar average velocity.

Chet

I don't think I calculated the velocity of the oxygen correctly. I set ##P_{O_{2}} = 0.5P##, but it is 50 vol% oxygen. I should be calculating the mol% oxygen. Is the vol% = mol% for an ideal gas by any chance?

For now I will assume they are the same. So I already calculated ##V_{O_{2}}## and ##V_{He}##. So to find the mass average velocity, I should do
$$ V = \frac {\rho_{He}}{\rho}V_{He} + \frac {\rho_{O_{2}}}{\rho}V_{O_{2}} $$
Now I can get the density of both species, divide the absolute flux by the density to get the velocity. Now my question is, are these individual velocity terms the absolute velocity for both molar and mass average velocity? I calculate the mass average velocity to be 0.016 m/s
For the molar average velocity,
$$ \bar {V} = \frac {C_{He}}{C} \bar V_{He} + \frac {C_{O_{2}}}{C} \bar V_{O_{2}} $$
Is it the case that ##V_{He} = \bar V_{He}##?

Last edited:
Maylis said:
I don't think I calculated the velocity of the oxygen correctly. I set ##P_{O_{2}} = 0.5P##, but it is 50 vol% oxygen. I should be calculating the mol% oxygen. Is the vol% = mol% for an ideal gas by any chance?

For now I will assume they are the same. So I already calculated ##V_{O_{2}}## and ##V_{He}##. So to find the mass average velocity, I should do
$$ V = \frac {\rho_{He}}{\rho}V_{He} + \frac {\rho_{O_{2}}}{\rho}V_{O_{2}} $$
Now I can get the density of both species, divide the absolute flux by the density to get the velocity. Now my question is, are these individual velocity terms the absolute velocity for both molar and mass average velocity?
Yes.
I calculate the mass average velocity to be 0.016 m/s
Shouldn't it be zero?
For the molar average velocity,
$$ \bar {V} = \frac {C_{He}}{C} \bar V_{He} + \frac {C_{O_{2}}}{C} \bar V_{O_{2}} $$
Is it the case that ##V_{He} = \bar V_{He}##?
Yes.

Well, I calculate
$$ \rho_{O_{2}} = \frac {P_{O_{2}}M_{O_{2}}}{RT} = \frac {(0.5)(1)(32)}{(0.08314)(500)} = 0.385 $$
$$ \rho_{He} = \frac {P_{He}M_{He}}{RT} = \frac {(0.5)(1)(4)}{(0.08314)(500)} = 0.048 $$
$$ \rho = \rho_{O_{2}} + \rho_{He} = 0.433 $$
$$V_{O_{2}} = \frac {J_{O_{2}}}{\rho_{O_{2}}} = \frac {0.8}{0.385} = 2.1 m/s $$
$$V_{He} = \frac {J_{He}}{\rho_{He}} = \frac {-0.8}{0.048} = -16.7 m/s $$
$$V = \frac {\rho_{He}}{\rho}V_{He} + \frac {\rho_{O_{2}}}{\rho}V_{O_{2}}$$
$$V = \frac {.048}{.433}(-16.7) + \frac {.385}{.433}(2.1) = 0.016 m/s $$
I mean, I guess it could be a rounding error, but there is no telling for sure at least right now.

Maylis said:
Well, I calculate
$$ \rho_{O_{2}} = \frac {P_{O_{2}}M_{O_{2}}}{RT} = \frac {(0.5)(1)(32)}{(0.08314)(500)} = 0.385 $$
$$ \rho_{He} = \frac {P_{He}M_{He}}{RT} = \frac {(0.5)(1)(4)}{(0.08314)(500)} = 0.048 $$
$$ \rho = \rho_{O_{2}} + \rho_{He} = 0.433 $$
$$V_{O_{2}} = \frac {J_{O_{2}}}{\rho_{O_{2}}} = \frac {0.8}{0.385} = 2.1 m/s $$
$$V_{He} = \frac {J_{He}}{\rho_{He}} = \frac {-0.8}{0.048} = -16.7 m/s $$
$$V = \frac {\rho_{He}}{\rho}V_{He} + \frac {\rho_{O_{2}}}{\rho}V_{O_{2}}$$
$$V = \frac {.048}{.433}(-16.7) + \frac {.385}{.433}(2.1) = 0.016 m/s $$
I mean, I guess it could be a rounding error, but there is no telling for sure at least right now.
It has to be roundoff error. You can show that immediately from your equations above.

Likes gfd43tg

1. What is mass flux in a gaseous mixture?

Mass flux in a gaseous mixture refers to the amount of mass of a particular component in the mixture that is transported per unit time per unit area. It is a measure of the rate of mass transfer in a gaseous mixture.

2. How is mass flux calculated?

Mass flux is calculated by multiplying the concentration of the component in the mixture by the velocity of the mixture. This gives the amount of mass that is transported per unit time per unit area.

3. What factors can affect mass flux in a gaseous mixture?

The concentration gradient, temperature, pressure, and molecular weight of the components in the mixture can affect mass flux. Additionally, the velocity of the mixture and the physical properties of the components can also have an impact.

4. How is mass flux used in practical applications?

Mass flux is used in various practical applications, such as in chemical engineering processes, air pollution control, and gas separation processes. It helps in determining the rate of mass transfer and can be used to optimize processes and design equipment.

5. What is the relationship between mass flux and diffusion in a gaseous mixture?

Mass flux and diffusion are closely related, as diffusion is the mechanism by which mass is transported in a gaseous mixture. The rate of mass flux is directly proportional to the rate of diffusion, and both are affected by similar factors such as concentration gradients and temperature.