1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass from density

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass of the following object with the given density function:

The ball of radius 8 centered at the origin with a density f(ρ,ϕ,θ) = 2e^-p^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to integrate the density function, but I'm not sure what limits to use. My book tells me that a sphere with radius a centered at the origin has the description: {(ρ,ϕ,θ): p=a}, a>0. However, I'm not exactly getting how this helps me find the limits.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you understand spherical coordinates? Can you describe the ranges the three variables ##\rho,\ \phi,\ \theta## must traverse to sweep out a sphere of radius ##a## centered at the origin?

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3
    Would the limits be:

for ρ 0 to 8

for θ 0 to 2pi

and for ϕ 0 to pi?

If not, I need to review spherical coordinates.

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right, and you just answered your own question about what limits to use.

6. Apr 10, 2012 #5
    Thank you. Sometimes when you have a lot on your mind it's easy to forget simple things. :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook