How Do You Calculate the Tensions in a Two-Rope System with a Suspended Mass?

• Thread starter PierceJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, a mass of 36.8kg hangs from a system of ropes at angles Θ = 23.7 deg. By resolving the forces in the horizontal direction, it can be determined that the tensions T1 and T2 are equal. This is due to the system being in equilibrium and symmetric. Using this information, the magnitude of the tensions can be found to be 448.6N.
PierceJ

Homework Statement

A mass of 36.8kg hangs from a system of ropes
Both angles Θ = 23.7 deg

http://i.minus.com/i7ZTPchjaji7q.PNG

Find the magnitude of the tensions T1 and T2

Homework Equations

T1sin(Θ)+T2sin(Θ)=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you have to use the horizontal component of the tensions in this, but other than that, I am not really sure what to do here. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PierceJ said:

Homework Statement

Both angles Θ = 23.7 deg

Homework Equations

T1sin(Θ)+T2sin(Θ)=mg

I think you have to use the horizontal component of the tensions in this, but other than that, I am not really sure what to do here. Any help is appreciated.

What about the vertical components? Don't they come into play as well?

Sorry, I meant to say that the horizontal bit is involved with the vertical bit somehow.

No, they both are independent equations. You have to resolve(split vectorially) the forces in the "direction along which the acceleration component is known", which here is all possible directions, as the object is in equilibrium. These directions may be mutually perpendicular but it is not always compulsory to do so, as in this case.
$$\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}$$ implies that we can take components in any directions i.e. $$\Sigma \vec{F}_{any direction} = m \vec{a}_{any direction}$$.

So:
T1sinΘ = mg?

PierceJ said:
So:
T1sinΘ = mg?

What made you think that?

No, you have three forces T1 ,T2 and the weight mg. Resolve these in the vertical and horizontal directions and you will get two equations.

Ashu2912 said:
No, they both are independent equations. You have to resolve(split vectorially) the forces in the "direction along which the acceleration component is known", which here is all possible directions, as the object is in equilibrium. These directions may be mutually perpendicular but it is not always compulsory to do so, as in this case.
$$\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}$$ implies that we can take components in any directions i.e. $$\Sigma \vec{F}_{any direction} = m \vec{a}_{any direction}$$.

What I meant here was that
(1) The equations you get are independent
(2) It is not always required to resolve in two mutually perpendicular directions :smile:

T1cosΘ+T2cosΘ = 0
T1sinΘ+T2sinΘ = mg

Is this correct?

PierceJ said:

Homework Statement

Both angles Θ = 23.7 deg

Homework Equations

T1sin(Θ)+T2sin(Θ)=mg

To go back to your first post, you have almost solved this.

Here's the key question: why must ##T_1 = T_2##?

PierceJ said:
T1cosΘ+T2cosΘ = 0
T1sinΘ+T2sinΘ = mg

Is this correct?

The first equation is not. When you resolve T1 and T2 in the horizontal direction, you get T1 cosθ and T2cosθ, but in which directions?

Ashu2912 said:
The first equation is not. When you resolve T1 and T2 in the horizontal direction, you get T1 cosθ and T2cosθ, but in which directions?

Ah, so its T1cosΘ-T2cosΘ = 0?

Here's the key question: why must T1=T2?
Because the system is in equilibrium?

PierceJ said:
Ah, so its T1cosΘ-T2cosΘ = 0?Because the system is in equilibrium?

Not just equilibium. Also, because the system is Symmetrical.

You've done the maths now with the horizontal forces to show that ##T_1 = T_2##, but you should also try to "see" that ##T_1 = T_2## by symmetry. When you come to more complex problems, using symmetry in a system can be a very powerful tool/shortcut.

PierceJ said:
Ah, so its T1cosΘ-T2cosΘ = 0?Because the system is in equilibrium?

Correct, since the horizontal acceleration is zero (system is in equilibrium), the (vector) sum of forces resolved along the horizontal must be zero. You have T1cosθ towards left and T2cosθ towards right.

Now, if a body is in equilibrium, it's acceleration is zero implies the vector sum of the forces on it is zero(vector). Here, there are three forces in play. Thus the vector sum of T1, T2 and mg is zero. It just so happens that T1=T2 in this case. What if the angles were different, say θ1 and θ2 ? o_Oo_O

There are two approaches to this problem. Neither is more correct than another, but see what you think:

1) You do some maths and find that, hey, ##T_1 = T_2##.

2) You see that ##T_1 = T_2## by symmetry and look for the maths that will prove/confirm this.

If the angles were different, they would still add up to be mg right?

As far as the answer goes for this question, what do I do here exactly?

Start with this equation:

T1cosΘ-T2cosΘ = 0

And show that ##T_1 = T_2##

Okay so, you just move T2 over.

PierceJ said:
Okay so, you just move T2 over.
What I would normally do now is:

Let ##T = T_1 = T_2##

Then, go back to your first equation and solve for T.

Alright.

T1sinΘ+T2sinΘ = mg
T(sinΘ+sinΘ) = mg
T = mg/2sinΘ

T = 448.6N

PierceJ said:
Alright.

T1sinΘ+T2sinΘ = mg
T(sinΘ+sinΘ) = mg
T = mg/2sinΘ

T = 448.6N

That's correct.

Likes PierceJ
Thank you for the help

1. What is the purpose of hanging a mass from two ropes in an experiment?

The purpose of hanging a mass from two ropes in an experiment is to study the forces acting on the mass and the tension in the ropes. This setup can also be used to explore concepts such as equilibrium, weight, and Newton's laws of motion.

2. How do the angles of the ropes affect the tension in the ropes?

The angles of the ropes can affect the tension in the ropes. As the angle between the ropes decreases, the tension in the ropes increases. This is because the weight of the mass is distributed between the two ropes at a smaller angle, resulting in a greater force on each rope.

3. What happens to the tension in the ropes if the mass is increased?

If the mass is increased, the tension in the ropes will also increase. This is because the weight of the mass is directly proportional to the tension in the ropes. As the weight increases, so does the force on the ropes, resulting in an increase in tension.

4. Can the mass hung from two ropes be in equilibrium?

Yes, the mass hung from two ropes can be in equilibrium if the tension in the ropes is balanced. This means that the weight of the mass is equal to the combined tension in the ropes, resulting in no net force acting on the mass.

5. How can the mass hung from two ropes be used to calculate the tension in the ropes?

The mass hung from two ropes can be used to calculate the tension in the ropes using the equation T = mg/cosθ, where T is the tension in the ropes, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the two ropes. This equation assumes that the ropes are massless and inextensible.