Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass in Schwarzschild's metric

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think this will be a quick question...
    If the Schw's metric is a solution of the vacuum, then what does the mass [itex]M_0[/itex] in the metric correspond to? I thought it was the mass of the star.... but if that's true then why is it a vacuum solution?
    Or is it vacuum because it describes the regions outside the star of radius [itex]R_{0}[/itex]([itex]r>R_{0},~~ M_0 \equiv M(R_{0}) [/itex]) ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2
    For the exterior Schwarzschild metric, the parameter M would technically signify the total mass-energy content of the entire space-time.

Because it describes the exterior vacuum region of the mass-energy distribution, i.e. the region where the energy-momentum tensor vanishes everywhere.

4. Aug 16, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

So would it be wrong to try and describe the interior of the star with a function [itex]M(r)[/itex] instead of [itex]M_{0}[/itex] the total mass?

5. Aug 16, 2014 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Not at all, but the metric won't be the Schwarzchild metric in the interior region. It will, however, have to join smoothly to the Schwarzchilld metric for ##M_0## at the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook