Mass in Symplectic techniques in physics by Guillemin and Sternberg

In summary, the book "Symplectic techniques in physics" by Guillemin and Sternberg introduces the concept of mass on page 435. The \sigma is the symplectic form, d0 is the exterior derivative of the symplectic form, and \Psi is a map from the symplectic manifold M to the group of symplectomorphisms of the symplectic vector space Z2(g). In the context of mass, \Psi is used as a cocycle to define the mass cocycle.
mma
Mass in "Symplectic techniques in physics" by Guillemin and Sternberg

Hi,

have somebody read this book? Guillemin and Sternberg introduces the notion of mass on page 435. But I don't understand here everything. For example, I dont't know what is [tex]\sigma[/tex] (it is introduced but isn't used) and what is d0. The [tex]\Psi[/tex] is also unclear, once it is a map from M to Z2(g) another time it is a cocycle. Could somebody help me to understand this? I haven't found elsewhere the same treatment and I find it very interesting, so I'd like to understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I have read "Symplectic techniques in physics" by Guillemin and Sternberg and I can try to help clarify some of the concepts you mentioned. The \sigma that is introduced is the symplectic form, which is a fundamental concept in symplectic geometry. It is a non-degenerate, closed 2-form on a symplectic manifold that encodes the geometric structure of the manifold. The d0 is the exterior derivative of the symplectic form, which is used in the definition of the Hamiltonian vector field.

The \Psi function is indeed a map from the symplectic manifold M to the group of symplectomorphisms of the symplectic vector space Z2(g). This means that it is a map that preserves the symplectic structure of the manifold. However, in the context of mass, \Psi is used as a cocycle, which is a function that assigns a value to each element in a group and satisfies certain conditions. In this case, \Psi is used to define the mass cocycle, which is a fundamental concept in symplectic mechanics.

I hope this helps clarify some of the concepts for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. The treatment of mass in "Symplectic techniques in physics" is indeed very interesting and I'm glad you are interested in understanding it. Keep exploring and learning!

1. What is the concept of mass in symplectic techniques in physics?

The concept of mass in symplectic techniques in physics refers to the measurement of an object's inertia or resistance to change in its motion. In symplectic geometry, mass is often described in terms of Hamiltonian mechanics, where it is represented by a function on a symplectic manifold.

2. How is mass related to symplectic structures in physics?

Mass is closely related to symplectic structures in physics because it is a fundamental property that is conserved in symplectic systems. In fact, the symplectic structure of a physical system can be used to derive equations of motion, including those for mass.

3. What role does mass play in symplectic integrators?

Mass plays a crucial role in symplectic integrators, which are numerical methods used to approximate the solution of differential equations in symplectic systems. The mass of a system is used to determine the appropriate time step for integration, ensuring accuracy and stability of the solution.

4. Can symplectic techniques be used to study systems with varying masses?

Yes, symplectic techniques can be used to study systems with varying masses. In fact, symplectic geometry provides a powerful framework for analyzing complex systems with varying masses, such as celestial mechanics and rigid body dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using symplectic techniques to study mass in physics?

While symplectic techniques are useful for studying mass in many physical systems, they may not be applicable to all situations. For example, in systems with strong nonlinearity or dissipation, symplectic methods may not accurately capture the behavior of mass. In these cases, alternative techniques may be needed.