1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass in the Air

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone with mass m = 0.9 kg is thrown vertically upward into the air with an initial kinetic energy of 270 J. The drag force acting on the stone throughout its flight is constant, independent of the velocity of the stone, and has a magnitude of 0.9 N. What is the maximum height reached by the stone?

2. Relevant equations

KE =1/2mv^2 and PE=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how I should be going about this...I have KE and the mass so I figured I could plug those numbers into the KE-1/2mv^2 equation and solve for velocity, but then I am not sure how to get the height. could you please help me out? or guide me to the right equation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That will get you the initial velocity. Then you either have to use energy methods; or else solve for the acceleration using newton 2, then use the kinematic motion equation to solve for the height. Are you familiar with either method?
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The work done by the drag force is force*distance since it's constant. Add this to your other energy equations.
  5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    Law of conservation of energy:
    Initial kinetic energy has changed to work done to overcome the drag force AND potential energy.
    Considering when the stone reached the maximum height:
    270 = Work done + Potential energy
  6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    Use Conservation of Energy... Just Like he said : (.5mv^2 = mgh + F*h) the max height is in the variable h (height) when v (velocity) = 0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?