Explaining Mass Increase Outside of Relativity: The Role of Internal Resistance

In summary, mass increase outside of relativity is explained by self induction, which is related to the production of magnetic field energy. The formula for time dilation is the same as for length contraction.
trglo
is there a physical explanation of mass increase ouside relativity?
I understand it is KE, can it be explained with a progressive increase of "internal" resistance?
I mean: if a body free-falls in the atmosphere external resistance increases with velocity, until it reaches terminal velocity vt, is it possible to consider C as a vt for particles? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is nothing like friction, but more like self induction. In fact, the increase of inertia with speed was known before the inception of relativity theory, and it was explained from electromagnetic theory.
However, that only seems to work (somewhat) for the electron - the kinetic energy is stored in the magnetic field, and an infinite amount of energy is required to reach c. As far as I know, no theory has been established that accounts for the increase of inertia of neutral particles and atoms in a satisfying way.

harrylin said:
It is nothing like friction, but more like self induction. In fact, the increase of inertia with speed was known before the inception of relativity theory, and it was explained from electromagnetic theory.
However, that only seems to work (somewhat) for the electron - the kinetic energy is stored in the magnetic field, and an infinite amount of energy is required to reach c. As far as I know, no theory has been established that accounts for the increase of inertia of neutral particles and atoms in a satisfying way.
Thanks, harrylin, I did not mean friction, I said internal resistance, I was thinking of "production of magnetic energy" is it any different from what you say self induction?
I see that the formula is the same as time dilation γv, is it causal or is there a deeper relation?

trglo said:
Thanks, harrylin, I did not mean friction, I said internal resistance, I was thinking of "production of magnetic energy" is it any different from what you say self induction?
I see that the formula is the same as time dilation γv, is it causal or is there a deeper relation?
You wrote "external resistance", and resistance implies friction. :wink: Anyway, indeed self induction has to do with magnetic field energy and for the electron there is an undeniable relationship. As a matter of fact, I once thought that they were unrelated and so I double-counted the effect - which is wrong. There is not an effect from "relativity" plus on top of that another one from self induction. But time dilation is not γv, where did you see that?

"external" referred to air resistance, of course.
if I got it right relativity did not explain it, only defined the curve of its values?
if in γ we call β = x (cos θ) is the value of MI = sec θ?
I was told in a forum that length-contraction LC and time-dilation TD curves are hyperbolic, is it true? how is TD related to MI? why formula is the same?

do you know when was MI first theorized and when really detected?
Thanks for your help

trglo said:
[..] if I got it right relativity did not explain it, only defined the curve of its values?
That's correct: the explanations of relativity don't go deeper than describing ("predicting") what will be measured.
if in γ we call β = x (cos θ) is the value of MI = sec θ?
I was told in a forum that length-contraction LC and time-dilation TD curves are hyperbolic, is it true? how is TD related to MI? why formula is the same?

do you know when was MI first theorized and when really detected?
Thanks for your help
I suppose that you mean with "MI" mass increase. But sorry, I don't understand your notations "x (cos θ)" and "sec θ".

In the late 19th century, mass increase was described by Abraham (maybe the first?) and many others such as Lorentz. It was first "detected" (with some theoretical assumptions) by such people as Kaufman, you can "google" those names for more info.
And there is a direct link between MI and TD, as in such experiments the trajectory depends on the dynamic mass: "heavier" electrons with higher energy are also "slower" to deflect.

It may interest you that later experiments such as by Bertozzi,
http://tap.iop.org/atoms/accelerators/518/file_47173.pdf
more clearly demonstrated that while the speed hardly increases, the kinetic energy still continues to increase.

Harald

1. What is the phenomenon of mass increase outside of relativity?

The phenomenon of mass increase outside of relativity refers to the observed increase in an object's mass as it accelerates. This increase in mass is often attributed to the object's kinetic energy, but recent research suggests that internal resistance may also play a role in this phenomenon.

2. How does internal resistance affect an object's mass?

Internal resistance is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its motion or shape. When an object is accelerated, its internal resistance increases, which in turn contributes to an increase in the object's mass. This is because the energy used to overcome the internal resistance is converted into mass according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

3. What is the significance of understanding the role of internal resistance in mass increase?

Understanding the role of internal resistance in mass increase is important because it provides a more complete understanding of the phenomenon. It also has implications for our understanding of energy and mass, and could potentially lead to new insights in the field of physics.

4. How does this research impact our understanding of Einstein's theory of relativity?

This research does not contradict Einstein's theory of relativity, but rather adds to it by providing a more nuanced understanding of the factors that contribute to mass increase. It also highlights the importance of considering internal resistance in our understanding of energy and mass.

5. What are the potential practical applications of this research?

This research has potential applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, where understanding the effects of mass increase is crucial for designing efficient and effective spacecrafts. It could also have implications for energy production and storage, as well as in the development of new technologies that require a deeper understanding of energy and mass.