1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of a cardioid

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the mass and center of mass of the region bounded by the cardioid r =
    1 + cos(θ), assuming the density function is given by ρ = r.

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is simple enough, I set up the integral

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}[/itex][itex]\int_{0}^{1+cos(\theta)}r dr d(\theta)[/itex]

I find the mass is 3pi/2

Now for the centre of, how do I set up the integrals? I know it would be the double integral of xρ drdθ, and then yρ drdθ, but do I keep the same limits? x would be rcos(θ) and y is rsin(θ), but this gives me some really weird functions to integrate.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what's so weird about the functions to integrate, but you are making a mistake already. In polar coordinates to find area you integrate the volume element dxdy=r*dr*d(theta). So I think you just computed the area. If the density is also r, that should give you an extra factor of r.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    Oh so in that case I get 5/6 pi. But still, what about the centre of mass? I need My and Mx, do I keep the same limits of integration?

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I don't get 5*pi/6. I'd check that. But, yes, keep the same limits of integration. Why not? Just put a factor of x or y into the integrand and work them out. Then you divide by total mass, right?

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5
    sorry 5pi/3. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook