What is the predicted mass of the Coma cluster using a simple model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of the mass of the Coma cluster, using the velocity of the galaxies and the radius of the cluster. A simple model is used, but the results are off by a factor of 3 or 10. The estimated mass of the Coma cluster according to Wikipedia is 2*10^44 to 2*10^45 kg, which is close to the desired result of 2*10^43 kg.
rohanlol7

Homework Statement

An estimate of the mass of the Coma cluster can be made from the velocity of the galaxies relative to the centre of mass of the cluster; the velocities are around 2000 km s-1. The stars that form the cluster have been together for a long time. Show that a simple model will predict a mass of the cluster of the order of 2*10^43kg. The radius of the Coma cluster is about 10^21m.

Homework Equations

GMm/R^2 =Mv^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried a few things. First i tried to consider that as a spherical hollow shell. I calculated by using the above equation ( just plugin in values ) and i was off by a factor of 3. Next i tried to consider 2000 as being the AVERAGE speed. This time i was wrong by a factor of about 10.
I tried to model it as a disk but that seemed to complex

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia says the Coma cluster has est. ##10^{14} - 10^{15}## sun masses, i.e. ##\; 2\cdot 10^{44}-2\cdot 10^{45}\,kg##.
Isn't this your factor ##10##?

fresh_42 said:
Wikipedia says the Coma cluster has est. ##10^{14} - 10^{15}## sun masses, i.e. ##\; 2\cdot 10^{44}-2\cdot 10^{45}\,kg##.
Isn't this your factor ##10##?
Maybe but the problem wants me to obtain 2*10^43

1. What is a cluster of galaxies?

A cluster of galaxies is a group of galaxies that are gravitationally bound together. They are the largest known structures in the universe and can contain hundreds to thousands of galaxies.

2. How is the mass of a cluster of galaxies determined?

The mass of a cluster of galaxies is determined by measuring the velocities of its member galaxies and using the laws of gravity to calculate the total mass of the cluster. This is done through techniques such as galaxy rotation curves and gravitational lensing.

3. Why is the mass of a cluster of galaxies important?

The mass of a cluster of galaxies is important because it can tell us about the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the large-scale structure of the universe. It is also a crucial parameter in cosmological models and can help us understand the distribution of dark matter in the universe.

4. Can the mass of a cluster of galaxies change over time?

Yes, the mass of a cluster of galaxies can change over time due to various factors such as galaxy mergers, interactions with other clusters, and the influence of dark matter. However, the change is usually gradual and can only be observed on a large timescale.

5. How does the mass of a cluster of galaxies compare to the mass of an individual galaxy?

The mass of a cluster of galaxies is significantly larger than the mass of an individual galaxy. While an individual galaxy may have a mass of around 10 billion solar masses, a cluster of galaxies can have a mass ranging from a few trillion to over 10 quadrillion solar masses.