1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of a Cluster of galaxies

1. Aug 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An estimate of the mass of the Coma cluster can be made from the velocity of the galaxies relative to the centre of mass of the cluster; the velocities are around 2000 km s-1. The stars that form the cluster have been together for a long time. Show that a simple model will predict a mass of the cluster of the order of 2*10^43kg. The radius of the Coma cluster is about 10^21m.

2. Relevant equations
    GMm/R^2 =Mv^2/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried a few things. First i tried to consider that as a spherical hollow shell. I calculated by using the above equation ( just plugin in values ) and i was off by a factor of 3. Next i tried to consider 2000 as being the AVERAGE speed. This time i was wrong by a factor of about 10.
    I tried to model it as a disk but that seemed to complex

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Wikipedia says the Coma cluster has est. ##10^{14} - 10^{15}## sun masses, i.e. ##\; 2\cdot 10^{44}-2\cdot 10^{45}\,kg##.
    Isn't this your factor ##10##?

4. Aug 11, 2016 #3
    Maybe but the problem wants me to obtain 2*10^43

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted