Calculating the mass of a comet using the impact method

• Thread starter joe17857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the mass of Comet Tempel 1 based on observations of debris released by an impact. The concept of escape velocity is introduced and a reference is provided for further understanding. The solution to the first part of the problem is discussed, and the conversation ends with a question about the second part.
joe17857
[SOLVED] Mass of a comet problem

On July 4, 2005, the NASA spacecraft Deep Impact fired a projectile onto the surface of Comet Tempel 1. This comet is about 9.0 {\rm km} across. Observations of surface debris released by the impact showed that dust with a speed as low as 1.0 {\rm m/s} was able to escape the comet.

1)Assuming a spherical shape, what is the mass of this comet? ( The escape speed for an object at the surface of Earth is 11.2 {\rm km/s} ).

2)How far from the comet's center will this debris be when it has lost 70 {\rm \%} of its initial kinetic energy at the surface?

I have absolutely no idea what to do. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
and here is the link if you are confused.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/myct/problemWork?template=problemView&assignmentProblemID=2736711 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread moved to Homework Help forums. Joe, start by telling us about the term "escape velocity", and how it relates to gravitational attraction.

the only thing i know is that the escape velocity for the Earth is equal to the square root of (G*mass of earth/radius of earth). our teacher really doesn't explain anything.

maybe i could use that and compare it to the escape velocity of the comet somehow but i don't know how. its just a really confusing problem because not much is explained.

Here's a reference on escape velocity. This should give you all that you need to solve the question. Read through this, and then post your work here if you still need help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

ok. solving for M =v^2*r/(2G) and plugging in i got 3.37 x 10^13. does that sound about right?

What are your units? What did you get for part B) ?

my units are in kg.

thanks i got it.

bump, I have no idea how to get part b

treverd said:
bump, I have no idea how to get part b

What did you get for the answer for the first part? What can you tell us about the relationship between KE, PE, and total energy?

What is the mass of a comet?

The mass of a comet can vary greatly depending on its size and composition. However, the average mass of a comet is estimated to be around 10^13 kilograms.

How is the mass of a comet determined?

The mass of a comet is determined by observing its gravitational effects on other objects, such as planets or moons, and using mathematical models to calculate its mass based on these observations.

Why is calculating the mass of a comet important?

Knowing the mass of a comet can provide valuable information about its composition and structure, which can help scientists better understand the formation and evolution of comets in our solar system.

How does the mass of a comet affect its trajectory?

The mass of a comet plays a significant role in its trajectory. As it approaches the sun, the comet's mass determines how much it will be affected by the sun's gravitational pull, which can cause changes in its orbit and trajectory.

Can the mass of a comet change over time?

Yes, the mass of a comet can change over time due to various factors such as outgassing, collisions with other objects, and interactions with the sun's radiation. These changes can affect the comet's trajectory and behavior.