Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of a Photon

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    I know that a photon cannot have mass.

I know that a photon does carry energy, however.

So, just for fun I used E=mc2, to find out how much mass a photo would have.

This was mainly just to play around with the equation, but I found the answer interesting.

1.11265005605e-31 kilograms.

That is the mass of a single photon, even though I know its not.

What I don't know is why its not.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

E = mc^2 is only valid for objects in their rest frames. A photon has no rest frame so that equation is invalid for a photon. A photon has momentum and this translates to a momentum density and momentum flux for a bunch of photons but that is not the same as rest mass.

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are using the wrong equation. E = mc2 is for a particle at rest, which a photon is not. For a particle in motion you need to use E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2. Since for light E = pc, if you will solve you will get m = 0.

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    Thanks!

I have always wondered about this.

If the photon transfers its energy to an object with a rest mass, then does it add mass to the object?

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There are two things you might be interested in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering" [Broken] occurs when a photon scatters off a particle and in turns, imparts some of it's energy to the particle and flies off with a smaller energy. However, the rest mass of the particle (What [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] really talks about) does not change; it simply gains kinetic energy.

There is also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production" [Broken] where high energy photons can actually create massive particles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jun 18, 2011 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please start by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

8. Jun 19, 2011 #7

edguy99

Gold Member

In Einstein's second paper on relativity in 1905, he explicitly concludes:

"Radiation carries inertia between emitting and absorbing bodies". It is important that not only does something receive a "kick" from the momentum of the energy, but the internal inertia (i.e., the inertial mass) of the body is actually increased. (from mathpages.com)

9. Jun 20, 2011 #8
    Among all this confusion, first [tex]E=Mc^2[/tex] is only good an an outdated concept of particles at rest - you need the relativistic formula [tex]E^2=M^2c^4+p^2c^2[/tex], but when I read your opening posts that photons cannot have a mass is simply wrong.

It does have a lower bound of mass at [tex]10^{-51}[/tex] g that is if one wants to believe it even has a mass of the ridiculously small length.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  10. Jun 20, 2011 #9

edguy99

Gold Member

I fully agree that the photon has no mass. But, one way to "weigh" this photon is to consider a box of mirrors mounted on a scale facing each other. Assume the "weight" of the mirrors on the scale is 1 kilogram. Say a photon goes by and does not get trapped by the mirrors. The scale will continue to be say exactly 1 kilogram.

Now, say the photon gets trapped by the mirrors and bounces back and forth between them. The scale will change and show a "weight" of slightly more then 1 kilogram (specifically, the mass equivalent of the photons energy).

In this way, you can view matter as trapped energy, it may be a vortex, mirrors, black holes or who knows what.

11. Jun 20, 2011 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?
    Where did you get that figure?

12. Jun 20, 2011 #11
    I hope i said it in grams, but basically this is old-ish news:

http://aip.org/pnu/2003/split/625-2.html [Broken]

13. Jun 20, 2011 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's not a "lower bound mass". That's the UPPER limit of the mass, meaning that the photon mass, IF it exist, has to be lower than that.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook