What is the Mass of the Planet in Scientific Notation?

In summary: PeterO is asking for help in calculating the mass of a planet in orbit around a star. He has provided information about the orbital radii and masses of both bodies. He is unsure how to use this data to calculate the answer and has attempted a calculation but is unsure if it is correct. He is looking for assistance and appreciates any help. In summary, PeterO is seeking help in calculating the mass of a planet in orbit around a star and has provided information about the orbital radii and masses of both bodies. He is unsure of how to use this data to solve the problem and has attempted a calculation but is not confident in its accuracy.
free_spirit
Hi all :)

Hope the day has been good to you...i am stuck on a question for my uni assignment, and have been stuck on this one for about 3 days to no avail...i don't even know where to start. I'm not too sure whether i need a certain equation for the question or if i have to come up with one using the information in the question...
If anyone could please help me through it would be greatly appreciated as I've only got 4 days left...if not thanks for looking anyways :)

There once was a planet - quite far
In orbit around a star
The star’s mass was ms
The planet’s mass you assess
Using the orbital radii, r

You can assume the radius of the planet’s and the star’s circular orbits around the
centre of mass of the system are rp = 1.5 × 108 km and rs = 1.0 × 106 km, respectively, with
ms = 2.0 × 1030 kg.

Calculate the mass of the planet, mp, showing all your workings and giving your answer in scientific notation to the appropriate number of significant figures.

Any help would be amazing as I'm at my wits end !
Many Thanks,

Ax

Physics news on Phys.org
So far all the info i have is that;

a) the star is 1 million miles from the centre of mass
b) the planet is 150 million miles from the centre of mass; and
c) both bodies are in circular orbits to the centre...

so I'm not too sure how to use this data to calculate the answer...

Ax

free_spirit said:

Ax

I think I would treat it as a simple centre of Mass problem. With the planet 150 times forther from the centre of mass I think it should simple be 1/150 th of the mass of the Sun.

ok thanks very much PeterO :)

i have done a calculation but am not too sure whether this is correct at all...

mp = rp x rs
ms

so,

mp = 1.5 x 108km x 1.0 x 106km
2.0 x 1030kg

mp = 150 000 000 000 000
2.0 x 1030kg

mp = 0.000 000 000 000 000 075 ??

ok, so i am also now thinking that this is incorrect...gah !

thanks for the help though, much appreciated :)

free_spirit said:

Ax

How did you end up with miles as units when the problem appears to use kilometers?

oops !

my bad, sorry bout that i did mean kilometres...sorry been at this for a while now and my brain is kinda mushy...thanks for pointing that out

What is the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet is the total amount of matter that makes up the planet, including its core, mantle, and crust.

How is the mass of a planet measured?

The mass of a planet is measured by observing the gravitational pull it exerts on other objects, such as its moons or nearby asteroids. This can be done using mathematical equations derived from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

Why is knowing the mass of a planet important?

Knowing the mass of a planet is important for understanding its overall composition and structure. It can also help scientists determine the planet's density, atmosphere, and potential for supporting life.

Can the mass of a planet change?

Yes, the mass of a planet can change over time due to factors such as meteorite impacts, volcanic activity, or the addition or loss of gases from the atmosphere. However, these changes are usually very small and do not significantly alter the overall mass of the planet.

How does the mass of a planet affect its orbit?

The mass of a planet directly affects its orbit around the sun or another celestial body. A higher mass results in a stronger gravitational pull, which can cause the planet to orbit more slowly and have a larger orbit. This is known as Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion.