Mass of air in cylinder column

In summary, the density of air in the lower atmosphere decreases exponentially with height according to the formula ρ = ρ0e−z/H, where ρ0 = 1.3 kg/m3 and H = 10 km. To find the mass of air in a cylindrical column of cross-sectional area 1 m2 and height z, one would integrate the formula from 0 to z. This would result in the formula m = ∫0zπr2e−z/Hρ0dz. To integrate e−z/H, one would use substitution for the argument of the exponential. Therefore, the mass of air in a column 1.0 km high would be given by the formula m = πe−
~Sam~

Homework Statement

The density of air in the lower atmosphere decreases exponentially with height: ρ = ρ0e−z/H
where ρ0 = 1.3 kg/m3 and H = 10 km. What is the mass of air in a cylindrical column of cross-sectional area 1 m2 and height z, as a function of z? How much mass is contained in such a column 1.0 km high?

Homework Equations

Volume of a Cylinder= pi*r*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to integrate from 0 to z to get the formula for mass. However, I'm not sure what the equation is that I need to integrate. I was thinking it might be something like intg[0,z] pi*r2e-z/Hρ0dz. Still if it that was, I see an issue with integrating e-z/H. I haven't gone to the second part because I need to know the first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

[tex]m=\int^{z}_{0}dm=\int^{z}_{0}\pi r^{2}e^{-z/H}\rho_{0}dz[/tex]

of course a mathematician will tell you that integrating for 0 to z is bad notation but its unlikely to give you the wrong answer.

How would you integrate e-z/h?

By substitution for the argument of the exponential.

Phyisab**** said:
By substitution for the argument of the exponential.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you integration by substitution? Could you elaborate or give an example?

Yes integration by substitution. Its a pretty elementary integration, look in a calculus book. Sorry I don't have time right now to explain.

1. What is the concept of mass of air in cylinder column?

The mass of air in a cylinder column refers to the total amount of air contained within a vertical column of air in a specific area or volume. It is a measure of the weight of the air present in the column and is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and altitude.

2. How is the mass of air in a cylinder column calculated?

The mass of air in a cylinder column is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the mass of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure, volume, and temperature. It can be calculated by multiplying the density of air with the volume of the cylinder column.

3. What factors influence the mass of air in a cylinder column?

The mass of air in a cylinder column is affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, altitude, and humidity. Changes in these factors can alter the density of air, thus affecting the overall mass of air in the column.

4. Why is the mass of air in a cylinder column important?

The mass of air in a cylinder column is important because it affects the stability and movement of air in the atmosphere. It also plays a crucial role in weather patterns and can impact various processes such as air pollution and climate change.

5. How is the mass of air in a cylinder column measured?

The mass of air in a cylinder column can be measured using instruments such as a barometer, thermometer, and anemometer. These instruments help in determining the pressure, temperature, and wind speed, which are essential in calculating the mass of air in the column.