1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of air in cylinder column

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The density of air in the lower atmosphere decreases exponentially with height: ρ = ρ0e−z/H
    where ρ0 = 1.3 kg/m3 and H = 10 km. What is the mass of air in a cylindrical column of cross-sectional area 1 m2 and height z, as a function of z? How much mass is contained in such a column 1.0 km high?

2. Relevant equations

Volume of a Cylinder= pi*r*h

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to integrate from 0 to z to get the formula for mass. However, I'm not sure what the equation is that I need to integrate. I was thinking it might be something like intg[0,z] pi*r2e-z/Hρ0dz. Still if it that was, I see an issue with integrating e-z/H. I haven't gone to the second part because I need to know the first.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    Looks good to me.

[tex]m=\int^{z}_{0}dm=\int^{z}_{0}\pi r^{2}e^{-z/H}\rho_{0}dz[/tex]

of course a mathematician will tell you that integrating for 0 to z is bad notation but its unlikely to give you the wrong answer.

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    How would you integrate e-z/h?

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4
    By substitution for the argument of the exponential.

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you integration by substitution? Could you elaborate or give an example?

7. Jan 19, 2010 #6
    Yes integration by substitution. Its a pretty elementary integration, look in a calculus book. Sorry I don't have time right now to explain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook