AnswerMass of Aluminum: Calculating Heat Transfer to Reach Final Temp

In summary, a student is trying to determine the mass of an aluminum chunk dropped into a steel container with water at 24◦C. The specific heat of aluminum and copper are given. Using the formula Q=mcΔT, the student can solve for Q and m. However, the temperature of the water does not change, so Q for aluminum is not directly given and the student must use algebra to solve for both Q and m.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

I think this is more of a gen chem question, but this is for my physics lecture.

A student drops two metallic objects into a 240 g steel container holding 62 g of water at 24◦C. One object is a 186 g cube of copper that is initially at 75◦C, and the other is a chunk of aluminum that is initially at 4.6◦C. To the student’s surprise, the water reaches a final temperature of 24◦C, precisely where it started. What was the mass of the aluminum chunk? Assume the specific heat of aluminum and copper is 900 J/kg ·◦C and 387 J/kg ·◦C,respectively. Answer in units of kg

Homework Equations

What is the formula that I am supposed to use for this? TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
DrMcDreamy said:

Homework Statement

I think this is more of a gen chem question, but this is for my physics lecture.

A student drops two metallic objects into a 240 g steel container holding 62 g of water at 24◦C. One object is a 186 g cube of copper that is initially at 75◦C, and the other is a chunk of aluminum that is initially at 4.6◦C. To the student’s surprise, the water reaches a final temperature of 24◦C, precisely where it started. What was the mass of the aluminum chunk? Assume the specific heat of aluminum and copper is 900 J/kg ·◦C and 387 J/kg ·◦C,respectively. Answer in units of kg

Homework Equations

What is the formula that I am supposed to use for this? TIA

Q = mcT

Copper:
Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
Q=(.186 kg)(387 J/kg C)(24 C -75 C)
Q=-3671.1 J

Aluminum:
But I am not given Q, so I have to solve for 2 things: Q and m
Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
Q=m(900 J/kg C)(24 C -4.6 C)
Qm=(900 J/kg C)(19.4 C)
Qm=17,460 J/kg
Which doesn't make sense.

So what do I do?

You are given Q for Al, although not directly - think, what it means that the temperature has not changed?

Besides, watch your algebra:

DrMcDreamy said:
Q=m(900 J/kg C)(24 C -4.6 C)
Qm=(900 J/kg C)(19.4 C)

Second doesn't follow from the first.

This question involves calculating heat transfer and final temperature using the specific heat capacities of aluminum and copper. The formula to use for this would be Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. To solve for the mass of the aluminum chunk, you can set up two equations using this formula for both the copper cube and the aluminum chunk, and then use the fact that the final temperature is the same for both objects. This will allow you to solve for the unknown mass of the aluminum chunk.

What is the specific heat capacity of aluminum?

The specific heat capacity of aluminum is 0.897 J/g°C. This means that it takes 0.897 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of aluminum by 1 degree Celsius.

How do you calculate the heat transfer for aluminum?

To calculate the heat transfer for aluminum, you can use the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transfer, m is the mass of aluminum, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the final temperature when transferring heat to aluminum?

The final temperature when transferring heat to aluminum can be calculated using the equation Tf = Ti + Q/(m*c), where Tf is the final temperature, Ti is the initial temperature, Q is the heat transfer, m is the mass of aluminum, and c is the specific heat capacity.

How does the mass of aluminum affect the heat transfer?

The mass of aluminum directly affects the heat transfer, as shown in the equation Q = mcΔT. The larger the mass, the more heat is required to raise its temperature by a certain amount. Therefore, increasing the mass of aluminum will increase the amount of heat required to reach the final temperature.

What other factors can affect the heat transfer to aluminum?

Aside from the mass of aluminum, other factors that can affect the heat transfer include the initial and final temperatures, the specific heat capacity of aluminum, and the type of heating source used. Other external factors such as insulation and environmental conditions can also affect the heat transfer process.