Mass of an Electron: Physicist's Measurement Techniques

In summary: Just a quick (hopefully not too dumb) question: how do physicists determine the mass of an electron?JJ Thompson: By measuring the ratio of mass/charge, and applying the force of acceleration to deduce the mass.RS: So if you have two bowls of mashed potatoes and you combine them, the 1 bowl of mash potatoes should theoretically weigh the same as the 2 individual bowls of mashed potatoes, correct (neglecting the bowls of course)?JJT: Yes, assuming you don't apply any additional energy to separate them.
curiousphoton
Just a quick (hopefully not too dumb) question :

How do physicists determine the mass of an electron? Is there a device or experiment used? I am just confused because of its particle / wave properties.

Physics news on Phys.org
JJ Thompson (discovery of the electron) measured the ratio of mass/charge by seeing how electrons bent in a magnetic field.
Then Robert Millikan measured the charge with the famous oil drop experiment - so having the charge and mass/charge you can get the mass.

The mass of anything is defined by the force it takes to make that particle accelerate in some direction relative to an observer, by F=ma, or M=f/a. If we apply some force f, and observe an acceleration of the electron a, we can easily deduce its mass m.

In practice, they do this in labs with electromagnetic fields. Electrons are negatively charged, and get pushed by magnetic fields (just like bringing positive poles on a magnet near negative poles on other magnets pushes them away from one another); we can observe this movement, and deduce mass.

Thanks for the refresher.

The reason I asked was because I was thinking about how a hydrogen atom could weigh less than when it's proton and electron are considered individually. This is due to negative binding energy, meaning you have to put energy into the atom to separate the proton from the electron.

I was just thinking how this applies to real life. I mean if I have 2 bowls of mashed potatoes and I combine them, the 1 bowl of mash potatoes should theoretically weigh the same as the 2 individual bowls of mashed potatoes, correct (neglecting the bowls of course)? Now to separate the one bowl potatoes back into two bowls, I have to put some sort of work, or energy, into the system, correct?

I guess I just confused on how the hydrogen system is different than the mashed potatoes?

curiousphoton said:
Now to separate the one bowl potatoes back into two bowls, I have to put some sort of work, or energy, into the system, correct?

But you didn't release any energy when you combined the two bowls of potatoes originally, right? This is different from combining an electron and proton, which does release energy.

jtbell said:
But you didn't release any energy when you combined the two bowls of potatoes originally, right? This is different from combining an electron and proton, which does release energy.

So why isn't energy released when combining the two bowls of potatoes? I mean each bowl is a combination of protons and electrons and neutrons, right? So we combine both and don't release energy, but when we combine an electron and proton we do release energy?

mgb_phys said:
JJ Thompson (discovery of the electron) measured the ratio of mass/charge by seeing how electrons bent in a magnetic field.
Then Robert Millikan measured the charge with the famous oil drop experiment - so having the charge and mass/charge you can get the mass.
Here is a picture of an electron beam being bent in the field of a Helmholtz coil in an undergraduate physics lab. The diameter of the orbit is ~0.5 cm, and is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field.

Bob S

Attachments

• electron e_over_m 2.jpg
    electron e_over_m 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 444

1. What is the mass of an electron?

The mass of an electron is approximately 9.109 x 10^-31 kilograms.

2. How was the mass of an electron measured?

The mass of an electron was first measured by physicist J.J. Thomson in 1897 using a technique called "cathode ray tube." This involved measuring the deflection of electrons in a magnetic field.

3. Has the mass of an electron changed over time?

The mass of an electron has remained constant over time, according to current scientific understanding. However, there are some theories that suggest it may have varied in the early universe.

4. Is the mass of an electron the same as its weight?

No, the mass of an electron and its weight are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on that object. The weight of an electron is extremely small due to its small mass.

5. How does the mass of an electron compare to other subatomic particles?

The mass of an electron is significantly smaller than most other subatomic particles. For example, the mass of a proton is approximately 1,836 times greater than the mass of an electron.