Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of Black Holes?

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    Sorry if this is in the wrong topic area but I'm really wondering this. Would there be any way to measure the mass of a black hole? This is a really interesting thing that I would like to know about. Thanks to anyone that helps!:smile:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

There are many ways to measure the mass, and some are deceptively simple.

A black hole of a given mass behaves gravitationally just like any other kind of object with the same mass.

All you need is to do is put a test mass -- say, 1 kg lump of metal -- into orbit around the hole. By observing the lump's orbit, you can calculate the black hole's mass.

You can also use what Nature gives you: stars. By watching the speeds at which stars orbit a suspected black hole, we can estimate the mass of that black hole.

- Warren
  4. Sep 28, 2006 #3
    Thank you vey much for that. I've been looking everywhere and now I finally know and I can ace my report! Thanks!:smile: :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?