The Mass of a Black Hole versus its volume

In summary, the mass of a black hole needs to be greater than the density of water in order for its mass to be equal to the Schwarzschild radius.
oldspice1212
A clump of matter does not need to be extraordinarily dense in order to have an escape velocity greater than the speed of light, as long as its mass is large enough. You can use the formula for the Schwarzschild radius Rs to calculate the volume 4/3piRs^3 inside the event horizon of a black hole of mass M.

What does the mass of a black hole need to be in order for its mass divided by its volume to be equal to the density of water (1 g/cm^3) ?So I have the density which = mass/volume = 1 g/cm^3

I know I'm suppose to find the mass but then how do I know what the volume is?
If the volume formula is 4/3pir^3, I'm having trouble with finding radius now, since I don't have the volume, I'm really frustrated about this question.Also using Schwarzschild radius formula Rs = 2Gm/c^2 seems useless because I don't have mass now?! Err so I need mass and volume but all I have is density?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SOLVED IT...

Rs = (3km)x M/Msun convert 3km to 3x10^5 cm...

density = mass/volume = M/ 4/3 piR^3

density = 3M/ 4pi ((3x10^5 cm)M/Msun)^3

M/Msun = root (3Msun/4pi(density)(2.7x10^16))

= 1.33x10^8 Msun

Took a while but finally got it, and this is how if anyone is interested.

With that you could calculate the minimum possible mass of a black hole. Is there one? Could you just shove two neutrons together really hard and have them form an event horizon?

Thank you Oldspice1212! I was looking for how to solve this question too!

Could you tell me where you got Rs = 3km x M/Msun? and where the 3km came from?

As well, for this section of what you wrote: "M/Msun = root (3Msun/4pi(density)(2.7x10^16))"

I plugged this in as 3rdroot(3*(2*10^30) / 4pi(1)(2.7*10^16)) but I did not get 1.33*10^8 Msun, Did I do it correctly?

What would be the minimum mass of a black hole with a volume of 225 m^3

JustinAlger said:
What would be the minimum mass of a black hole with a volume of 225 m^3
Welcome to PF.

Can you use the equations in the posts above to answer your question?

Note also that this question doesn't really make sense, since the interior volume of a black hole can't be calculated using a Euclidean formula. That space isn't flat there is kind of an important point...

Likes berkeman

1. What is the relationship between the mass of a black hole and its volume?

The mass of a black hole is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the mass of a black hole increases, its volume also increases.

2. How does the mass of a black hole affect its gravitational pull?

The mass of a black hole determines the strength of its gravitational pull. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull. This is why black holes with greater mass have a stronger influence on nearby objects.

3. Is there a limit to how much mass a black hole can have?

According to current theories, there is no limit to how much mass a black hole can have. However, as the mass increases, the black hole's size and gravitational pull also increase, making it more difficult for objects to escape its grasp.

4. Can the volume of a black hole change?

Yes, the volume of a black hole can change. As matter falls into a black hole, its mass and volume increase. Additionally, when black holes merge, their volumes also increase.

5. How is the mass of a black hole measured?

The mass of a black hole can be measured through various methods, including observing the orbits of objects around the black hole and measuring the distortions in the surrounding spacetime caused by the black hole's gravity. Scientists also use equations such as the Schwarzschild radius to calculate the mass of a black hole.