Mass of grain of sand

• Thread starter scc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the mass of fine grains of beach sand, assuming they are spherical and made of silicon dioxide. The solution involves converting the density from kilograms per cubic meter to kilograms per cubic micrometer, and then using the formula for the volume of a sphere to calculate the mass. The person asking for help had difficulties with their calculations and was advised to show their work to receive more accurate assistance.
scc

Homework Statement

Fine grains of beach sand are assumed to be spheres of radius 38.1 micro meters (can't figure out the scientific sign). These grains are made of silicon dioxide which has a density of 2600 kilograms/meters^3. What is the mass in kg?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I input 3 different answers and they're all wrong (603.2 kg and others near that - I know I'm way off). I'm not sure at all how to calculate. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you got your answers, it is hard to help not knowing what you are doing wrong.

Since you don't tell how you got 603.2kg, I tried guessing where you went wrong... and I guess
that when you convert the density from kg/m3 to kg/[tex]\mu[/tex]m3, you multiplied it by 10-6 when you are supposed to multiply it by (10-6)3

What is the mass of a grain of sand?

The mass of a grain of sand can vary depending on factors such as its size and composition. On average, a single grain of sand can have a mass of about 0.00007 grams.

How is the mass of a grain of sand measured?

The mass of a grain of sand is typically measured using a scale. The sand is placed on the scale and its mass is recorded in grams or milligrams.

Can the mass of a grain of sand be different from one another?

Yes, the mass of a grain of sand can vary due to differences in size, composition, and density. For example, a grain of sand made of quartz will have a different mass than a grain of sand made of basalt.

What units are used to measure the mass of a grain of sand?

The mass of a grain of sand is typically measured in grams (g) or milligrams (mg). However, in some cases, scientists may use other units such as kilograms (kg) or pounds (lbs).

Why is knowing the mass of a grain of sand important?

The mass of a grain of sand may seem insignificant, but it is important for understanding and studying various geological and environmental processes. It can also help in the development of technologies and materials that utilize sand, such as concrete and glass.