Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of light?

1. Nov 26, 2003 #1
    today in my physics class, teacher told me that light doesent have mass....i thought it did....wuts the final answeer to this question, does it have mass or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2003 #2
    Light is made of photons, which have no mass (rest mass, anyway).

4. Nov 27, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[?] [?] You're not insulting him for asking a question, are you?

5. Nov 27, 2003 #4
    lol...am in my final year of high school grade 12, and there has always been some debating in this forum about the mass of light, just asking a question u know!

6. Nov 27, 2003 #5
    Newton assumed in his particle theory that the mass of a light particle is approaching zero, meaning that it is so close to zero it might as well be zero.

7. Nov 27, 2003 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photons have a rest mass of zero (special relativity). However they have energy and are affected by gravity (general relativity).

8. Nov 28, 2003 #7
    It's very hard to understand why it would have no mass..If light is distributed through 3rd/4th dimension, wouldn't it have to be mass for it to exist physically? and what about time, does it have a mass?

9. Nov 28, 2003 #8
    I don't know what it means to be "distributed through 3rd/4th dimension", nor what that has to do with having mass. (If it was only distributed through two dimensions, could it be massless?)

What physical law are you thinking of, that says that something has to have mass to exist physically? Having nonzero mass simply is not a requirement for particles to exist.

Time is not an object which we can say either has or does not have mass.

10. Nov 28, 2003 #9
    time is just inyour imagination so no it has no mass and light has a mass because photons have mass this mass however is to small to be noticable so just say for all purposes besides super accuracy light has no mass.:wink:

11. Nov 28, 2003 #10

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not the first time this has been discussed, though it has not been proved experimentally that light has no mass (as it is impossible to prove such a thing and experiments can only place bounds on the mass of light), it is pretty safe to say that light (and photons) have no mass.

12. Nov 28, 2003 #11

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Experimentally it has been observed that the speed of light is independent of any inertial reference frame. Therefore light cannot have a rest mass. (Things with rest mass have an inertial frame with speed equal zero.)

13. Nov 28, 2003 #12
    ok so if light has no mass, how can it get sucked in by black holes?

14. Nov 28, 2003 #13
    You could equally well ask, how can its trajectory be deflected by the gravity of any body. Light (as well as massive bodies) travel in straight lines through spacetime, but if the geometry of spacetime is curved, then "straight lines in spacetime" can be curved trajectories in space.

15. Nov 28, 2003 #14
    because black holes are sucking in matter at the speed of light, but the black hole has mass-a lot of mass, therefore light can't escape.

16. Nov 28, 2003 #15
    Wasn't there an experiment some time ago that showed light can exert force? I can't put my finger on the guy's name. Anyhow he did an epxeriment where light beams of some sort exerted a pressure on some sort of metal in a vacuum. (I'm sure someone could elaborate more on that)

Since mass is part of the force equation, wouldn't light have mass even if it is so small it's almost non-existent?

[?]

17. Nov 28, 2003 #16
    Yes, light exerts a force. It can do that because force is a change in momentum (F=dp/dt), and light does have momentum. (F=ma only in non-relativistic mechanics; it is interesting to note that F=dp/dt was Newton's original definition, which still holds in relativity.)

18. Nov 29, 2003 #17

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think astronaut Ed Lu recently tried this experiment ("pushing" something with a flashlight) onboard the ISS (just for fun) and reported a success of sorts. Sorry, no source (you might want to check that...he wrote "letters from space" that should be available online somewhere at NASA or something).

To futz...hello to a fellow Edmontonian.

19. Nov 29, 2003 #18
    :wink:

20. Nov 29, 2003 #19
    First post...
    Anyways, yes light does exert force. It is being looked at as a possible form of space travel. Essentially it would work the same as a sail boat using the sun's light as it's "wind."
    Assuming this works as planned you could potentially reach any speed imagianble since there is no friction in space and each particle of light would bounce off causing you to move forward. It's being looked at as a form of long distance space travel.

Um. First post though and i registered just to say what most already know im sure.
    http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3337579,00.html
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,12543,337873,00.html

Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  21. Nov 29, 2003 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just a clarification here - Ambitwisor, I think you missed his wording and the misconception continued: The phrase "sucked in" is misleading. NOTHING gets "sucked in by a black hole" any more than the earth's gravitational field "sucks" anything in. The gravitational field of a black hole is only special as a result of its magnitude. So a black hole with the mass of the earth would act the same as the earth toward an object in orbit. And a photon of light will only enter the black hole if it is headed on a trajectory that crosses the event horizon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?