1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of planet

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Stellar mass 3.8 x 10^30 kg
    Star's orbital speed: 90 m/s
    Planet's orbital speed: 95,000 m/s

Whats the mass of the planet in kilograms

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to have forgotten to fill in "Relevant equations" and "The attempt at a solution"!

4. Oct 29, 2015 #3
    This is my sons homework im just trying to get the answer and see if someone can show me how to get it so i can help him

5. Oct 29, 2015 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you find the distance to the centre of rotation from each body? What does that tell you about relative mass?

AM

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5
    No thats all the information hes given

7. Oct 29, 2015 #6
    We don't give out answers to homework questions, so that's why you're being asked to find the center of rotation. It's the same point as the center of mass.

We could teach you how to make the right answer, but instead we teach you how to make sense of the physics involved in making the answer. If you communicate the former to your son and not the latter it won't have any instructional value.

8. Oct 29, 2015 #7
    O ok apparently i came to the wrong forum. I thought i could just get help to teach him how to make the right answer. Like the formula to finding mass with those factors

9. Oct 29, 2015 #8
    I suggest that your son join Physics Forums.

10. Oct 29, 2015 #9
    Apparently him joining wouldnt get him closer to an answer

11. Oct 29, 2015 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed.
    As already mentioned, we aren't a service where someone posts a question and we give the answer. If your son wants help, he should become a member, and we will steer him in the right direction, but he has to show some effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook