Find Mass of Pulley - Help Needed ASAP

• Thread starter theknownothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Pulley
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the mass of a pulley in a system of two blocks suspended over it. The downward acceleration of the 44.0 kg block is observed to be exactly one-half the acceleration due to gravity. The formula provided by one person is discussed, but it is noted that it only applies to a massless pulley. Hints are then given to help solve the problem, including considering the torque and angular acceleration of the pulley. Finally, the person asking for help thanks everyone and states they have solved the problem.
theknownothing
Hi people again, sorry to not have done extensive searching in the forum for a problem like this but I need some help ASAP.

By means of a rope whose mass is negligible, two blocks are suspended over a pulley, as the drawing shows. The pulley can be treated as a uniform solid cylindrical disk. The downward acceleration of the 44.0 kg block is observed to be exactly one-half the acceleration due to gravity. Noting that the tension in the rope is not the same on each side of the pulley, find the mass of the pulley.

Thank you guys!

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure which formula to use to find the mass of the pulley since the accelartion is

a=m2-m1/m1+m2 * gravity that would give me the accel if it was a massless pulley.

any help appreciated.

I can't see your graph... but i think i can guess how its look like
since you are new here, just want to let you know our rule here does not allow me giving you the full solution... I can only give you some hints and you got to work out the problem yourself

hints:
1. what is the touqe acting on the pulley?
2. what is the angular acceleration for the pulley
3. after you have the above numbers and the rotational inertial for a disk, you should able to figure out what the mass is...

alright thanks got the problem!

1. How do I find the mass of a pulley?

To find the mass of a pulley, you will need to use a scale or balance. First, weigh the pulley alone on the scale and record the mass. Then, attach the pulley to the system it is a part of and weigh the entire system. Finally, subtract the mass of the pulley alone from the total mass of the system to find the mass of the pulley.

2. What equipment do I need to find the mass of a pulley?

You will need a scale or balance, a string or rope, and the pulley itself. It may also be helpful to have a calculator to perform any necessary calculations.

3. How does the mass of a pulley affect the system it is a part of?

The mass of a pulley will affect the overall mass of the system it is a part of. This can impact the acceleration and forces acting on the system, as well as the energy required to move the system.

4. Can I use the same method to find the mass of any pulley?

Yes, you can use the same method to find the mass of any pulley as long as you have the necessary equipment. However, if the pulley is very small or has an irregular shape, it may be more difficult to accurately measure its mass.

5. Why is it important to know the mass of a pulley?

Knowing the mass of a pulley is important for understanding the dynamics of a system. It can help determine the forces and energy involved in the system's movement, and can also aid in designing and optimizing systems for efficient operation.