Calculating Mass of Soil Scooped in 0.009 m3

• Thread starter ExoP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Soil
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the amount of soil that can be held by a square scoop. The problem involves finding the weight of soil per unit volume and using it to calculate the weight of different volumes of soil. The solution involves multiplying the volume by the weight per unit volume to get the weight of the soil.
ExoP

Homework Statement

Hi,

I really need help with a problem. I have a plate and need to calculate how much soil it can dig.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I first calculated the volume of the scoop (a square scoop) and after that I'm stuck. Anyone have an idea?

Volume of scoop: 0.009 m3 (I calculated this)
density of soil: 1400 kg/m3

How much soil can it hold?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the volume were 1 m3, how many kg of soil would go in ?
If it were 0.1 m3 ? 0.2 ? 0.01 ? 0.009 ?

How can a square scoop have a volume ?

Hey, you were my 1000 th p: ! Congrats!

That's true. Well, imagine a box with no top. It has a thickness, width, length and height.
From that, how am I going to calculate how much soil it can contain? Maybe should start with that

hehe, np

I still don't understand where you encounter a problem here: You have a volume and you have a weight per unit volume, so calculating the weight of this particular volume is straightforward. Right ?

If 1 m3 weighs 1400 kg, how much does 2 m3 weigh? And 0.5 m3 ? 0.1 m3 ? 0.2 ? 0.01 ? 0.009 ?

1. How do you calculate the mass of soil scooped in 0.009 m3?

The mass of soil can be calculated by multiplying the volume (0.009 m3) by the density of the soil. The density of soil can vary, but a common average density is around 1.5 g/cm3. Therefore, the mass would be 0.009 m3 x 1.5 g/cm3 = 0.0135 kg, or 13.5 grams.

2. What is the formula for calculating mass of soil scooped in 0.009 m3?

The formula for calculating mass is: Mass = Volume x Density. In this case, the volume is 0.009 m3 and the density can be determined by researching the type of soil being scooped.

3. Can the mass of soil scooped in 0.009 m3 vary?

Yes, the mass of soil can vary depending on the type of soil being scooped. Different types of soil have different densities, which will affect the overall mass. Additionally, the amount of moisture in the soil can also impact the mass.

4. Why is it important to calculate the mass of soil scooped?

Calculating the mass of soil scooped is important for a variety of reasons. It can help with determining the amount of soil needed for a project, understanding the weight of soil being transported, and estimating the cost of materials. It can also provide valuable information for agricultural purposes, such as determining the nutrient content and potential yield of the soil.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the mass of soil scooped in 0.009 m3?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when calculating the mass of soil scooped. As mentioned before, the density of soil can vary, so the calculated mass may not be entirely accurate. Additionally, the presence of rocks or other large objects in the soil may also affect the overall mass. It's important to keep these factors in mind when using this calculation.