Binary Stars: Equal Mass, 350 Million km Separation, 5.4 Earth Years Orbit".

In summary, the binary-star system observed in this conversation consists of two stars of equal mass, separated by 350 million km and taking 5.4 Earth years to orbit about a point midway between them. The question asked for the orbital relationship for a two body rotating about themselves, and the answer given was 1.1x10^29, which was incorrect. The person is seeking help in finding the correct equation from their book.
RileyAllen
Suppose that a binary-star system consists of two stars of equal mass. They are observed to be separated by 350 million {\rm km} and take 5.4 Earth years to orbit about a point midway between them.

I got 1.1x10^29 as my answer, but it is incorrect. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
RileyAllen said:
Suppose that a binary-star system consists of two stars of equal mass. They are observed to be separated by 350 million {\rm km} and take 5.4 Earth years to orbit about a point midway between them.

I got 1.1x10^29 as my answer, but it is incorrect. Can anyone help me out?

You're looking for the orbital relationship for a two body rotating about themselves.

Do you have that equation in the book you are studying?

Sure, I'd be happy to help. It looks like you may have made a calculation error in your answer. Let's go through the problem step by step to see where the mistake may have occurred.

First, we need to determine the total mass of the binary-star system. Since the two stars are of equal mass, we can simply divide the total mass by 2 to get the mass of each individual star. We can use the equation for Kepler's third law, which states that the orbital period squared is equal to the distance between the two objects cubed divided by the sum of their masses. In this case, the orbital period is 5.4 Earth years, the distance is 350 million km (or 3.5x10^11 m), and the sum of the masses is what we are trying to find. So, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the sum of the masses:

M1 + M2 = (4π²r³)/G(T²)

Where M1 and M2 are the masses of the two stars, r is the distance between them, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period.

Plugging in the values we have, we get:

M1 + M2 = (4π²(3.5x10^11)^3)/(6.67x10^-11)(5.4)^2

Solving this equation gives us a total mass of 5.5x10^30 kg for the binary-star system. Dividing this by 2 gives us the mass of each individual star, which is approximately 2.75x10^30 kg.

So, the correct answer for the mass of each star in this binary-star system is 2.75x10^30 kg. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What are binary stars?

Binary stars are a pair of stars that orbit around a common center of mass. They are held together by their mutual gravitational attraction and often interact with each other, affecting their individual evolution and behavior.

2. What does "equal mass" mean in the context of binary stars?

In this context, "equal mass" refers to the fact that both stars in the binary system have the same mass. This is not always the case in binary systems, as sometimes one star can be significantly more massive than the other.

3. How far apart are the two stars in this binary system?

The two stars in this binary system have a separation of 350 million kilometers. This distance is constantly changing as the stars orbit around each other.

4. How long does it take for the two stars to complete one orbit around each other?

The two stars in this binary system have an orbital period of 5.4 Earth years. This means that it takes them 5.4 years to complete one full orbit around their common center of mass.

5. What is the significance of the 5.4 Earth years orbit in this binary system?

The 5.4 Earth years orbit is an important characteristic of this binary system as it determines the length of time it takes for the stars to complete one orbit. This information can be used to study the dynamics and evolution of the system, as well as make predictions about future behavior.