1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of stellar bodies

1. May 24, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone. I am working on a planetary simulation model and am having a bit of trouble with the math. Given the volume and density of a particular planetary body, how do I calculate the mass? Once I have the mass, how do I calculate the orbital distance of a satellite body to said panetary body? I'm sure this is somewhat elementary astrophysics but, in the immortal edited words of Dr. McCoy, I'm a programmer, not a physicist! Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Density is mass/volume:[itex] \rho = m/V[/itex] so [itex]m = \rho V[/itex]

The orbital radius of a satellite (distance from satellite to centre of the planet) will depend on the speed of the satellite. A satellite can orbit at any distance.

AM

4. May 25, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the info, Andrew. It is very much appreciated. One other question if I may. If i know the distance, what is the equation for determining the orbital speed? Or, from a education standpoint, where can i find said equation?

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  5. May 25, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force of gravity provides the centripetal acceleration, so:

[tex]mv^2/r = GMm/r^2[/tex] so:

[tex]v = \sqrt{GM/r}[/tex] where G is the universal gravitation constant and M is the mass of the planet

G = 6.67 x 10-11 m3/kg sec2

Example: The mass of the earth is M = 5.98 x 1024kg

The radius of the earth at the equator is about 6,378,000 m. So, at a distance of 1000 km above the earth, the orbital speed would be:

[tex]v = \sqrt{6.67e-11*5.98e24/7.378e6} = 7.35 x 10^3 m/sec[/tex]

This works out to about 26,500 km/hr.

AM

6. May 25, 2006 #5
    Thanks a bunch, Andrew. That is exactly wahat I needed.

-B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?