What is the mass of the lunar lander using the PhETLunar Lander applet?

In summary, the conversation involves using the PhETLunar Lander applet to find the mass of the lunar lander. The equations F=ma, mgh=1/2mv^2, and f*t=p are being used to solve for the mass, but the mass keeps cancelling out. The student is seeking help as they are unable to isolate the mass on one side of the equation without it cancelling out.
Danya314

Homework Statement

Using the PhETLunar Lander applet, we are to find the mass of the lunar lander. We know the maximum acceleration of the module's engines and gravitational acceleration of the moon.

Homework Equations

F=ma
mgh=1/2mv^2
f*t=p

The Attempt at a Solution

Everytime I try to symbolically solve for the mass, the mass cancels out. I have tried using Newton's 2nd Law equations, conservation of energy, work-energy, and conservation of momentum. I can't seem to isolate mass on one side of an equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kind of hard to figure out what you might be doing wrong since you did not post any work for us to look at.

phinds said:
Kind of hard to figure out what you might be doing wrong since you did not post any work for us to look at.
What I have done so far isn't wrong, it just isn't getting me the answer I need. Like I said, I can't isolate mass on one side of an equation without cancelling the term out.

Attachments

• help.JPG
    help.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 429
Probably be a good idea not to post your work sideways.

What is the Mass of the Lunar Module?

The mass of the Lunar Module, also known as the LM, was approximately 10,000 pounds on its journey to the moon. However, after discarding the descent stage and returning to the Command Module, the mass was reduced to about 4,400 pounds.

How was the Mass of the Lunar Module determined?

The mass of the Lunar Module was determined through various calculations and measurements. Engineers took into account the weight of the materials used, such as aluminum and titanium, as well as the weight of all the equipment and supplies that were stored inside the LM.

Why was the Mass of the Lunar Module important?

The mass of the Lunar Module was important because it affected the amount of fuel needed for the journey to and from the moon. A heavier LM required more fuel, which could impact the overall success of the mission. It also affected the landing and takeoff capabilities of the LM.

How did the Mass of the Lunar Module change during the Apollo missions?

The mass of the Lunar Module changed during the Apollo missions as engineers made improvements and modifications to the design. The first LM used for Apollo 9 had a mass of 14,000 pounds, while the final LM used for Apollo 17 had a mass of only 6,700 pounds.

What other factors were considered in addition to Mass when designing the Lunar Module?

In addition to mass, other factors that were considered when designing the Lunar Module included structural integrity, landing and takeoff capabilities, and the ability to withstand the harsh conditions of space. Engineers also had to consider the amount of space available for the astronauts to work and live in during their time on the moon.