1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of the Lunar Module

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the PhETLunar Lander applet, we are to find the mass of the lunar lander. We know the maximum acceleration of the module's engines and gravitational acceleration of the moon.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    mgh=1/2mv^2
    f*t=p
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Everytime I try to symbolically solve for the mass, the mass cancels out. I have tried using Newton's 2nd Law equations, conservation of energy, work-energy, and conservation of momentum. I can't seem to isolate mass on one side of an equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Kind of hard to figure out what you might be doing wrong since you did not post any work for us to look at.

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    What I have done so far isn't wrong, it just isn't getting me the answer I need. Like I said, I can't isolate mass on one side of an equation without cancelling the term out.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 22, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Probably be a good idea not to post your work sideways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted