Calculating Mass of the Moon with Apollo 11 Data

• Thread starter leyyee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Moon
In summary, the Apollo 11 space vehicle was put into orbit around the moon with a mass of 9979kg and a period of 119 min, with maximum and minimum distances from the center of the moon of 1861km and 1838km, respectively. Using Newton's version of Kepler's third law and assuming the moon to be a uniform spherical body, the mass of the moon can be calculated from these data. The semi major axis is needed to solve for the mass, which can be found by taking the average of the maximum and minimum distances from the center of the moon. With this value, the mass of the moon can be calculated using the gravitational equation.
leyyee

Homework Statement

Before landing men on the moon, Apollo 11 space vehicle was put into orbit about the moon. The mass of the vehicle was 9979kg and the period of the orbit was 119 min. The maximum and minimum distances from the center of the moon were 1861 km and 1838km . Assuming the moon to be a uniform spherical body, what is the mass of the moon according to these data?

Homework Equations

GMm/R^2
elliptic equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the kepler's law and Gravitational equation.. It seems I can't get the mass of the moon. Anyone can help me through?

thankx

Physics news on Phys.org
Period, distance and mass will suggest Newton's version of Keplers's third law. You will have to work out what the semi major axis is though.

is the semi major axis the radius for the r^3 in the kepler's thrid law? I use the (1861+1838)/2 is correct that this is the value for r? 1849.5?

thank for replying..

Last edited:
Yes Kepler's 3rd is based on the semi major axis. You have correctly worked it out.

thanks then I think I got of correct d.. Thanks..

What is the significance of calculating the mass of the Moon using Apollo 11 data?

Calculating the mass of the Moon using Apollo 11 data allows us to better understand the composition and structure of the Moon. This data can also be used to study the Moon's orbit and interactions with other celestial bodies.

How was the mass of the Moon calculated using Apollo 11 data?

The mass of the Moon was calculated by measuring the gravitational force between the Moon and the Apollo 11 spacecraft. This was done using the spacecraft's trajectory and velocity measurements, which were collected during the mission.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass of the Moon?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass of the Moon, including the precision of the spacecraft's instruments, the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, and any external forces acting on the spacecraft during the mission.

How does the calculated mass of the Moon compare to previous estimates?

The calculated mass of the Moon using Apollo 11 data is consistent with previous estimates, which were based on observations from Earth and other missions to the Moon. However, the use of more precise instruments and data from Apollo 11 has allowed for a more accurate calculation.

What other information can be gathered from Apollo 11 data besides the mass of the Moon?

Apollo 11 data can also provide information about the Moon's density, composition, and gravitational field. This data can be used to study the Moon's formation and evolution, as well as its potential for future exploration and colonization.