What is the Equation for Calculating the Mass of the Sun?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the mass of the sun using an equation that involved the orbital period and distance from the sun. The final calculated value was compared to the actual known mass of the sun. After some corrections, the correct mass value was obtained.
Dark_Dragon
-Deleted-

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dark_Dragon said:
ok, so if my equation to find the mass of the sun is:
T²/R³ = 4п²/GM
and i used the orbital period (T²)(in seconds) and the distance from the sun (R³)(in metres) of say, venus, then i transform the equation to find "M" and i get:

M = 4π²(R³/T²) / G
M = (4π²)(1.08e+11/1.95e+7) / (6.67e-11)
=3.27e+15
but the mass of the sun is 1.98e+30.

Check your calculations. I get 1.92*10^30 kg.

-Deleted-

Last edited:
Check your orbital period. Make sure you convert the year into seconds and then square it.

ok scratch the last post, i got it, thank you for your help both of you!
much appreciated =)

1. What is the equation for calculating the mass of the sun?

The equation for calculating the mass of the sun is M = G x (m1 x m2) / r^2, where M is the mass of the sun, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects (in this case, the sun and another body), and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How was the mass of the sun originally calculated?

The mass of the sun was originally calculated by Sir Isaac Newton using his law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the value of the gravitational constant used in the mass of the sun equation?

The value of the gravitational constant used in the mass of the sun equation is 6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2. This value was determined by Henry Cavendish in the late 18th century through his famous experiment involving a torsion balance.

4. Can the mass of the sun be measured directly?

No, the mass of the sun cannot be measured directly. Instead, scientists use various indirect methods, such as measuring the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies, to calculate the mass of the sun.

5. Does the mass of the sun change over time?

Yes, the mass of the sun does change over time, but the change is very small. The sun loses mass through the emission of energy, primarily in the form of light and heat, but this loss is very gradual and has a minimal effect on the overall mass of the sun.