Mass of the system vs. rest masses

In summary: I did try what you suggested, but I got different answers. In the frame where 1(4kg) is stationary 2 approaches at .9c, while in the frame where 2(5kg) is stationary 1 approaches at .92c.
danda

Homework Statement

Two particles of mass 4 and 5 kg (respectively) move towards each other. If the mass of the system is 20kg what can you say, qualitatively and quantitatively about the system in the center of mass frame?

Homework Equations

In the CM frame net momentum is zero:
gamma1*m1*v1 + gamma2*m2*v2 = 0

mass of the system:
gamma1*mass1 + gamma2*mass2 = 20

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this problem with these two equations and two unknowns is solvable, but the algebra is extremely long and difficult. Is there a more elegant, short way to solve the problem? Perhaps using E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
in fact there's a very short way. use the relativistic mass formulae, which is basically
mass = gamma . rest mass
in CM of say the 5kg particle, the particle itself has no velocity, therefore no momentum, and just 5kg of mass. so since the net mass is 20kg, the other particle appears to have 15 kg of mass. so you know the rest mass of that particle is 4kg, and its relativistic mass is 15kg, you can workout the gamma and hence the relative velocity of the two particles.

danda said:

Homework Statement

Two particles of mass 4 and 5 kg (respectively) move towards each other. If the mass of the system is 20kg what can you say, qualitatively and quantitatively about the system in the center of mass frame?

Homework Equations

In the CM frame net momentum is zero:
gamma1*m1*v1 + gamma2*m2*v2 = 0

mass of the system:
gamma1*mass1 + gamma2*mass2 = 20

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this problem with these two equations and two unknowns is solvable, but the algebra is extremely long and difficult. Is there a more elegant, short way to solve the problem? Perhaps using E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 ?
It's a good idea to try avoid using velocities. It just makes the algebra harder, as you probably found out. Stick with energy E, momentum p, and mass m and use the equation you cited. In terms of those quantities, your equations become
\begin{align*}
\vec{p}_1 + \vec{p}_2 &= 0 \\
E_1 + E_2 &= Mc^2
\end{align*} where M is the mass of the system. Try squaring both equations.

I did that and got reasonable answers (.96 and .95 c, respectively), but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I got different speeds. What did you find for the particles' energy and momentum?

vela said:
I got different speeds. What did you find for the particles' energy and momentum?

sorry, I made an error.

I got that in the frame where 1(4kg) is stationary 2 approaches at .9c, while in the frame where 2(5kg) is stationary 1 approaches at .92c.

I did this by writing: m(1) + (gamma2)(m(2)) = 20 and vice versa, solving for the u in the gamma.

So plugging in, in the frame where E(1) is stationary E(total) = m(1)c^2 + 3.16(m(2))c^2

and the same basic thing for the other velocity.

Momentum would be done the say way, I guess. But still, wouldn't I have to find the speed of the CM frame, and somehow write those equations over again with some dependence on the that value?

That can't be correct. If mass 1 moves with speed β relative to mass 2, mass 2 moves with the same speed relative to mass 1.

Did you try what I suggested in post 3?

1. What is the difference between mass of the system and rest masses?

The mass of the system refers to the total mass of all the particles or objects within the system, while the rest masses refer to the individual masses of each particle or object when they are at rest.

2. How are the mass of the system and rest masses related?

The mass of the system is equal to the sum of the rest masses of all the particles or objects within the system, according to the principle of mass conservation.

3. Can the mass of the system be greater than the sum of the rest masses?

No, the mass of the system cannot be greater than the sum of the rest masses. This is due to the fact that energy is required to accelerate particles to higher velocities, and this energy adds to the rest mass of the particles, contributing to the overall mass of the system.

4. What is the significance of understanding the mass of the system vs. rest masses?

Understanding the difference between the mass of the system and rest masses is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, where the behavior and interactions of particles and objects at high velocities are studied. It also helps in accurately predicting the behavior of systems and calculating their energy requirements.

5. How does the concept of mass of the system vs. rest masses relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that mass and energy are interchangeable, and the mass of a system can change depending on its energy. The rest masses of the particles within the system also contribute to its overall mass. This is important in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds and in the study of phenomena such as black holes.